3 August 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
August 3rd 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The 50 kms into Townsville was a breeze.<span><span> There was no intention on staying more than a few hours but within minutes of taking a walk through the CBD the misconceptions we had about the place were expelled.<span>Townsville is edgy and alternative and on first appearances looks like a place you would love to visit for a week or work for an extended period.

The city is fresh in appearance and the buildings from yesteryear have been spectacularly restored.<span> The marina is within walking distance from the CBD and The Strand is a thriving urban foreshore area.<span> We had coffee at The Sweatshop which is a hip place to relax and has some fantastic modern artwork on display.

Being a Friday finding accommodation in the CBD during peak season proved to be impossible; however, we did land ourselves a spot at the peaceful Rowes Bay Caravan Park.<span> The facilities are tip top and the Park is only a 10 minute drive from the heart of Townsville.

Later in the afternoon we hopped on a bus back into the city and took a look at some funky shops.<span> A friend suggested we visit The Brewery and that is where we stayed for the remainder of the day <span>J.<span> This venue is a microbrewery at heart but the upmarket surroundings make it the place to be especially for Friday afternoon knock off drinks.

Rachel and I sampled a taster paddle of the brews that were on offer and we gave the majority of them the two thumbs up.<span> I was particularly impressed with their stouts and red ales.<span> We decided to stay for dinner and the lamb shank I had was up there with the best.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb