Tropical Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Townsville Townsville Townsville

Magnetic Island in distance
About halfway between Brisbane and Cairns, Townsville seems to have the ideal climate, allthough we were told that it does get very humid in the summer. The Great Barrier Reef is on its doorstep, while inland there are old goldmining towns like Charters Towers, Further inland too is Mount Isa - one of the biggest current mining towns and enjoying a boom at the moment. Rob was able to join us for this part of the trip, and it was tremendous - although almost unreal - to see him walk into the airport arrivals hall after 8+ months away, looking fit, well and just the same as ever. Townsville itself has a tremendous sense of space and a slower, tropical , feel to it. There was a great view from our hotel across to Magnetic Island, which was to be our next port of call, to meet Bob's cousin Diana who has lived on the island for the past ten years. Magnetic Island is delightful: mostly a nature reserve, with lots of sandy bays fringed with palm trees, and home to rock wallabies, koalas and elegant birds. Diana was a great hostess, showing us all the special places around her island. Cyclone Yasi came this way in February, but everything grows so quicklyhere that it all looked nearly back to normal to us visitors. All good things come to an end, and we had to leave the island after a few days. We headed south to Brisbane, while Rob stayed behind to catch up on some diving on the reef. We enjoyed Brisbane a lot: it has a beautiful riverside, some well-preserved historic buildings and some really original modern tower blocks. The final move was a flight back across Australia - again - to Perth, where we will stay the night with Nic and Rob Henderson (avid readers of this blog will recognise that N & R were the couple whose wedding we attended in Margaret River a few weeks ago) - and then on to Singapore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Townsville - view from hotelTownsville - view from hotel
Townsville - view from hotel

Jet skis along the shoreline.
Stone CurlewStone Curlew
Stone Curlew

Theses are really noisy at night!
Cyclone YasiCyclone Yasi
Cyclone Yasi

After effects
BrisbaneBrisbane
Brisbane

From Mt Coot-tha


23rd May 2011

More wonderful places
It was great to hear more about the intrepid travelers' adventures. And Rob looks really good. How nice to know he is where he is!! Will you be bringing a teddy bear back? Mocha would love it.
24th May 2011

my travel itch grows more insistent with every one of your wonderful entries!
25th May 2011

Good new re Rob
How wonderful to see Rob joining up with you in Australia. He looks terrific. A great bonus for you and a delight to all of us who have followed his comings and goingsover the last few years. Loved the photo of the "boys" with cousin O'Shea. Keep up the great blog. Love, Carole & DOug

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb