Surfers Paradise to Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
June 11th 2010
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sorry its been a while. I'm missing the free internet we had in Sydney!

So... Byron Bay was nice, but not sure I could have stayed any longer than we did. The beach was gorgeous, but I found the town quite boring, plus expensive! On our third day there, we did a fantastic walk up to the lighthouse. It took around 6 hours (with us stopping for over an hour for lunch at the top) to do but the views were great. I'm really getting into the walks over here, as the scenery is so good. We could see dolphins in the sea in the distance, but were too far away for photos and to see properly. That night, most of the girls went to the cinema to watch Sex in the City 2, and four of us who weren't interested, went to a bar that was in the hostel. It was called the Buddha Bar and was a good laugh.

The next day we left for Surfers Paradise. LOVED IT!! Would like to return to work there if possible because I really liked the place. It had a massive beach, but a much larger town than Byron. The nightlife was good as well. The place we were staying (Sleeping Inn) was the best accommodation so far. We were staying in an apartment type setup. We had two 3 bed private rooms that shared a large living area, kitchen and bathroom. It was nice not having to stay with strangers for a change. That night I tried goon for the first time... Goon is Australia's cheapest box of wine and my god its strong stuff! I had to mix it with lemonade because the taste wasn't great! Me, Stephen and Lynsey went out that night to a local bar/nightclub. We get free entry and one free drink through the hostel. It was a great night and we didn't get back until gone 2am.

Have to admit that the next day I did have a slight hangover...ahem. But then went looking round the shops in the afternoon. We spent the next day on the beach but it got a bit windy so we left early. Have to admit that I wanted to stay longer here, but the next day we left for Brisbane. Me and Lynsey are definitely going to return to look for work here.

Now for Brisbane... We had been told that Brisbane isn't that good and to bypass it etc. So we weren't sure what to expect. For this reason we only booked into the hostel for two nights. We didn't get off to a great start as we got lost trying to find the hostel, and so were walking round the centre carrying all our bags! We eventually found the place and wanted nothing more than to collapse in our room and have showers but couldn't check in until later that afternoon. We dropped off our bags and went into the town for lunch and to look around. The hostel was right in the centre which was good, but I didn't really like the city. It was VERY busy, but there wasn't a whole lot of stuff to do there. It's not on the coast so there's no beach. It's great if you like shopping, but with none of us having the money to shop, its pretty boring.

It was decided that we would stay the two nights then move onto Noosa. The whole day we had there we spent at Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo. He is like a god over here - seriously! They have named a highway after him and have statues of him as well! The zoo was just over an hour away, and unfortunately it was FREEZING cold there! It was sunny in Brisbane so we were wearing shorts and t-shirts! Lynsey was so cold she bought a hoodie at the zoo - I was also very cold but refused to spend $50 on something I didn't really want. Despite the cold conditions, the zoo was amazing. We got to walk around a park with kangeroos everywhere and got to feed and pet them. They were so cute! I also got to feed an elephant and stroke a koala. We watched a croc show as well, which was cool. Was definitely worth a trip to see. When we returned to Brisbane, we arranged to meet everyone at a bar below our hostel. It was here that we were all splitting up. Some were staying in Brisbane for a few extra days and some were staying long term to find a job. Me, Lynsey and Stephen are now travelling up the coast with just the three of us. It was a good night in the bar, although I got roped into doing a beer drinking contest! You had to have a group of four with one girl and I was the only girl who drank beer! We did win the first round (prize was $100 each if we won), but then we were still waiting 2 hours later for the next round and couldn't be bothered to wait any longer! So we left. At least we didn't come last.

So we have left Brisbane and are now at Noosa! Now I have caught up on my blog I will write about this place later. Just one word fits this place - AWESOME! And forget Surfers Paradise, the hostel we are staying at here is like a palace with the nicest owners ever. Its only been open since May so everything is brand new! Anyway, will upload photos tomorrow. Bye for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sleeping InnSleeping Inn
Sleeping Inn

Hostel in Surfers
Australia ZooAustralia Zoo
Australia Zoo

Us with the statues of Steve Irwin and family


12th June 2010

Seeing the Sights
Well, you're certainly seeing the sights now. Interesting to know that Australia is much more expensive than first thought. Not too sure about the beer swigging contests!!!!! Steve Irwin Zoo sounded good, always liked his programmes on t.v. Looking forward to hearing about Noosa and seeing some pics. xx
13th June 2010

awsome!
What fantastic experiences you are having. Look forward to seeing the pics. Wish I was there. How long do you think you will stay at Noosa? Chocolate mousse was in fridge!!! Tons of love. Auntie

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb