WE ARE IN AUSSIELAND!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast » Maroochydore
February 14th 2010
Published: February 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This whole trip has been so crazy already! Michelle and I left Blacksburg on Thursday morning, my 21st birthday, and headed for Virginia Beach. I had all of my packing to do, so we spent most of the day doing that and hanging out until we started getting ready for dinner. We went to dinner at Cobalt Grill with mom and dad, and I had Sauvignon Blanc for the second night in a row mmmm, and of COURSE, we had the world famous Sugar Plum chocolate chocolate cake with chocolate chips all around the outside! The cake said “Happy 21st Amy and Michelle” and it was wonderful! We got some rest, woke up at 7, and got on the road headed for Dulles International. Dad and mom drove us, we hit a little traffic, and made it there by 12:30, with PLENTY of time, but you can never be too careful with international flights.
We got checked in around 1:30 and had lunch with my parents before embarking on our very long journey (that had actually already started at 9 o’clock the previous morning). We made our flight with plenty of time to spare and were headed for LAX! We hopped off the plane at LAX with our dreams and our cardigans… but seriously, LAX isn’t everything it’s hyped up to be. Michelle and I had to exit security and then we ended up with all the busses and taxi’s OUTSIDE of the airport…with no boarding passes to get back through security. We somehow found the right terminal after some panicking and a bus ride, and our carry-ons were too heavy (the lady was nice though and let us go through) ((the carry-ons for VAustralia Airlines can only be 15.4lbs/7kg each. Ah! So we made it through security - again - quickly shoveled down some Burger King and Starbucks (the only sources of food in our terminal) and it was about midnight in our heads… dinner is better late than never, I guess.
Australian Airlines are SO MUCH BETTER than and US flight I’ve been on! It’s beautiful inside. We walked on with lights that change colors throughout the cabin, contemporary seats that have teal designs, and the flight attendants all look SO CUTE (sorry boys for being girly). When we walked in, there was a bar with 6 barstools for the first class passengers and there were decorations all over it. We each got our own blanket, pillow, headset, eye mask, and TV that showed over 50 movies, many tv shows, and allowed you to make your own playlist with thousands of songs. Unfortunately, 3 hours into our flight, our row and 6 others just on our side lost power to the TVs. Fortunately, it was 4AM in our heads, we had been traveling all day, and it was 7PM in Brisbane. Also, the head of attendants came to us and apologized so many times, offered us unlimited complimentary drinks (the first is included with dinner anyway, and dinner was manicotti and some other yummy food) so Michelle and I kindly accepted a glass of champagne. The guy sitting next to me works for the company that designs clothes for Pink’s (the Pink) boyfriend. He was on a business trip to LA and lives in Melbourne… you really do have connections to famous people when you go anywhere near LA. We are on the plane now, and I am typing this on Word because I obviously can’t get online, but I will post it when I can. Michelle is sleeping and I think I will join her. It is 5:15AM at home, 2:15AM in LA, and 8:15PM in Maroochydore (our destination). I just want to be in the sun! goodbye winter, sorry I missed you spring, and heeelllllooooo summer!


please pray for us as we are figuring out how to survive (literally, converters dont hold enough voltage, we had to pay an arm and a leg when we got here for several things, electronics dont work and my comp is about to die since the converters dont work, and everything cost SO much money. we went to the store and ended up just getting pasta and sauce because for example, a halfgallon of milk is 5 dollars, and canned veggies are like 3. ) hopefully we'll make it to the big supermarket sometime soon... we have free lunch and dinner tomorrow. HALLELUJAH!

we're both suntanned already, it's very very hot, and orientation starts tomorrow!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! (especially to you, my love, Brent)

Advertisement



14th February 2010

I am sooo excited for you and your adventure!! Glad you are there :)

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb