Cape York - Thursday 4th June


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Seisia
June 4th 2015
Published: June 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Cape York. - Thursday 4th June

Hi all, as I mentioned in the previous blog I woke up at 3 am to see two sharks circling our area of beach. We worked out we had left a fish carcass on the beach and at high tide it was being washed in the shallows. We decided we would try to fish for shark tonight. Anyhow the day was beautiful and we swam in the river again when the tide was out. The water is so clean and fresh. Xavier caught a 91 cm Queen fish from the Tinny. A pretty big fish and one that he cut up into fillets for the freezer. As the day progressed we decided to build a fire. Not exactly cold weather but we had not had a fire on this trip so today was the day. I collected the firewood and Tracey then decided she would make some bread to cook in the Dutch oven in the fire. As Tracey was making the bread we put up some chairs and we had a cooking class. See the photos. Very funny. The bread turned out perfect and we ate every single crumb between us all. The kids were very happy as they had my hammock as well as very large rope swing off one of the trees in our camp. After our evening meal we decided to see if we could catch shark from our camp. No rods or reels. We used 100 metres of polyester rope (looks like curtain rope). Tied a hook to the rope and Matthew/Xavier just threw the bait into the water (I didn't throw the rope as it was pretty scary along the water edge.). Well did not take long for the first bite. We pulled up three sharks. I pulled one up by myself. The last one got away as we had Tonina, Allison and Tracey pulling on the rope. It was a big shark as it was pulling all three of them closer to the waters edge. It finally got off the hook. We took some photos but not from the ipad as we were in the dark. My shark was over 2 metres long. I will add some shark photos when I get back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb