Trying to Fix Fiddly, Frustrating Problems


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rockhampton
July 21st 2014
Published: July 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today was a fixing things up day again. Barry found a small plastic lug under the fridge and discovered it fits into the bracket that supports the fridge door and takes the weight off the hinges while we jiggle up and down during travel. Only little but doing an important job so it will need replacing. He is still trying to narrow down the battery problem, too. After charging the rear battery all night it seemed to be full but was boiling and the case was hot. It looks like we need a new one. He doesn’t want to replace it until he’s confirmed that the wires and relays are working OK or we’ll still have trouble, which we don’t want in more remote places where we stand no chance of getting parts.

We were directed to a number of places to get the fridge lug with little success until the last, who asked us to send a photo of the fridge bracket to her and she’d forward it to Dometic, the supplier. That will take time.

Another thing that will take time is my new credit cards. We had organised with the bank, while in Cooroy, for my
Now you see me, now you don't.Now you see me, now you don't.Now you see me, now you don't.

The Bush Stone Curlews in Camouflage Mode.
new credit cards to be sent to Rockhampton for us to collect but Brent told us a few days ago that they’d come to Melbourne. When I queried this at the branch here I was told they are not allowed to receive private mail – even their credit cards- so the security company would have intercepted them and sent them to our home address. (Why didn’t the clerk in Cooroy know this?) She suggested getting them sent to the Post Office so we went to find out the best way. The clerk there told us it would take 2-3 days by Express Post so it looks like we’re staying in Rockhampton until the weekend. (Not such a bad thing – it’s really pretty at the camp site and we’re enjoying all the wildlife. There’s a lot to investigate around here, too, if we can ever get the problems fixed!)

They have some large shopping complexes here, like those in Melbourne, so I thought I’d get a lid for my frying pan as I’ve been using an upturned, remodelled tin foil container – not ideal and hard to pick up when hot. That was another fruitless exercise. No-one had anything that fitted. I did find some little round clothes hangers for $3 that will be ideal for pegging Barry’s socks on. They always take longer to dry than the rest of the washing and then I’m trying to find places to put them around inside.

We also came across some small binoculars in BCF (still looking for the lid) for $34 so I bought them. They are 8x21 and so have good magnification but not a wide field of vision. Hopefully it will be enough for our wildlife watching. The bigger ones were over $100 – too expensive!

We had intended to meet up with Ros and Arthur at the Botanic Gardens and Zoo in the afternoon but the day was gone doing all that stuff. We rang to hear how it went and say goodbye in the evening, instead.

Overall, it has been a frustrating day, with just a few wildlife high spots.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb