Tropical North Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
January 26th 2011
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Sydney to Cairns then drove up the Captain Cook Highway to Port Douglas. Our appartment was fantastic, especially afer 2 weeks in a camper van! We were right next to the beach and the water was 30 degrees C, very warm. It was stinger season so we had to swim inside a netted area to keep safe. On our first full day we went to the Barrier Reef on a catamaran called the Aristocat. We went snorkelling and saw a puffa fish, loads of clown fish and mum and dad saw a turtle.
We drove up to the Daintree National Park (tropical rainforest), it was very green and wet. We went on a boat trip and saw loads of crocodiles on the river, we didn't do any swimming here!
One day we went on another gondola over the rainforest at Kuranda, it was 7.5km long. We took a train ride back down, this was very "viewtastic"! It was started in 1887 and it was amazing that they built it with just picks, shovels and a bit of dynamite. We went past the Barron Falls, a massive waterfall which also produces hydro-electricity.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cape TribulationCape Tribulation
Cape Tribulation

as far north as we could go in a 2WD car
CrocsCrocs
Crocs

Not the best place for a dip!
Karunda RailwayKarunda Railway
Karunda Railway

Viewtastic!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb