QLD Road Trip - Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Paluma National Park
March 26th 2010
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mission Beach WalkMission Beach WalkMission Beach Walk

Rainforest walk
Day 2: Mission Beach to Paluma National Park

After our first camp breakfast, and before leaving Mission Beach, we climbed to a lookout at the end of the peninsula which provided sweeping views over the bay and across to Dunk Island, albeit with some continued cloud cover.

We then continued south which took us through Tully, a town which claims the record as the wettest location in Australia. It even has a giant gumboot (a wellington for any English readers) measuring 7.92 metres, a tribute to its highest annual rainfall record which occurred in 1950. We were recommended to do the white water rafting in Tully, some of the best in Australia, but we arrived a little too late in the day and decided to continue south instead... maybe next time!

Our next destination was Paluma National Park where we visited Wallaman Falls; the largest single drop waterfall in Australia, tumbling 305m (1000 feet). It was an impressive sight, especially with the low cloud cover that masked the bottom of the falls. When it didn’t clear after 10 minutes we figured it was time to move on before it rained again!

The weather started to improve once
Mission BeachMission BeachMission Beach

View from the top...
we left the mountainous area around Tully and we finally found some nice sunshine to accompany our drive. We reached our camping spot for the night, at Jourama Falls, still within Paluma National Park. We came across two flooded rivers on our way to the campsite which Dan ensured we crossed at full speed to ensure our safety. The weather was still good when we arrived so we enjoyed a swim in a deserted rock pool before retiring to setup camp.

The campsite was in middle of the bush with space for a small number of campers which gave it a great feel of remoteness. We campsite, run by the QLD Forestry Commission, is only minutes from the falls and complete with toilet and BBQ facilities and at $5 per person was a real bargain. Natalie whipped up her camping speciality, chicken and cous-cous, which we enjoyed with a few glasses of red and a game of cards under a clear sky.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Cassowary SignCassowary Sign
Cassowary Sign

These strange creatures are endangered so need to be careful on the roads!
Bra TreeBra Tree
Bra Tree

There are some weird people in QLD...
Giant GumbootGiant Gumboot
Giant Gumboot

Tribute to their record rainfall in 1950.
Wallaman FallsWallaman Falls
Wallaman Falls

The largest single drop waterfall in Australia, 305m (1000 feet)
Jourama FallsJourama Falls
Jourama Falls

Walking to the falls
Jourama Falls Jourama Falls
Jourama Falls

Our own private swimming hole!!
DinnerDinner
Dinner

Nat cooked her camping speciality... cous-cous chicken... yum!


Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 83; dbt: 0.108s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb