Laura - Normanton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Normanton
November 3rd 2012
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Scenic ViewsScenic ViewsScenic Views

Rocky mountains accompanied by 42 degrees heat!!
3rd November 2012.

After breakfast, we topped up our fuel and off we go on this 'alternate' road. To begin with, the road wasn't too bad, but it progressively got worse as we got deeper into the hills. It was a very hot day, with the temperature gauge peaking at 42 degrees and the front and rear aircons at full speed. It was a scenic drive through many cattle stations and dry, rocky river bed crossings. Sasha somehow managed to approach a horse and gave it a pat. There was a variety of cattle, some were small and cute, while the big ones with large horns were intimidating. After lunch, we weren't even half way to Normanton because we were driving so slow, stopping and opening and closing station gates.

Once we got through the 'short-cut' and onto the Burke Developmental Road, we were able to travel at highway speeds. This dirt road was smooth and well maintained until about 2 hours later, when the road surface became really bad with many long, big dust holes. This area was a very open, flat country, beautiful but rugged. I would not want to have a breakdown out here, with the
CattleCattleCattle

Cattle on the station relaxing under any bit of shade the could find.
temperature gauge stuck on 38 degrees. There were many abandoned, smashed up cars, caravans and trailers by the side of the road. Daniel was travelling between 60 to 80km/h, dodging dust holes and cows. This trip was taking longer than anticipated and the sun was setting in front of us. Once dark, it began to rain and those dust hole turned into muddy puddles. Every time Daniel ran over one, we had a splash of mud all over Pedro. It was rather dangerous and our speed dropped to about 50km/h because we also had to dodge kangaroos and wallabies. When we finally got to Normanton, it was straight to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

White bull?White bull?
White bull?

This cow stood up and started walking towards us when we stopped.
HorseHorse
Horse

Sasha managed to approach this horse and feed it an apple.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset on the Burke Developmental Road
SunsetSunset
Sunset

There was a bush fire further up the road and the smoke in the sky made this a rare opportunity to view the sun with our naked eyes.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb