A sight for weary travelers eyes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa Heads
November 13th 2013
Published: November 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It seems that 2013 and our circumnavigation of Australia have flown by so fast, it is hard to get ones mind around the great adventure.

But, in a way, visiting Noosa for our last destination for a week of R&R (as well as cleaning the MH inside and out), was just what we needed.

We left the outback of The Darling Downs and, taking a twisted route went to Kingaroy to collect a supply of their famous peanuts, camped at a couple of free camps and then headed to Noosa. Along the way we saw truck load after truck load of hay being shipped out west. The farms there are so dry, cattle in some places appeared very thirsty and hungry.

We knew that David and Mary had booked into the Noosa Caravan Park for 5 nights, but we were running a little ahead of them, so settled in for a week so that the journey finished much as it had started. And that happened in more ways than just togetherness.

Yes, just as it rained as we left Brisbane to head south into NSW, so the heavens opened in Noosa. Fortunately the rain was short lived and no roads were flooded.

It is some years since we last visited Noosa, and it is clear that this is a diverse and dynamic community. While we were there, they held their triathlon with 14,000 competitors. The following weekend there was a national surf lifesavings competition including a comp for the nippers. (Young children) As an alternative, petrol heads were entertained with speedway and hill climb racing. One site in the caravan park was occupied by one such hill climb racing car. Older Australian and NZ petrol heads will well remember the Holden Toranas. The one in the park had triple carbs, each twin side draft Webers. That's the stuff we dreamed about in my teenage years. They were also a pain to tune (balance the airflow and mixture) if you were a home mechanic.

We were more interested in things quiet, so spent a morning walking out to Hell's Gate in the Noosa National Park. The great thing about this park is that everyone is smiling. There were many visitors to the park, and almost all had a smile from ear to ear. It is just that sort of beautiful fresh clean healthy place to go
Noosa Nat. Park 04Noosa Nat. Park 04Noosa Nat. Park 04

Noosa Beach in background. (Hastings Street)
and walk. We saw many different birds, goannas, and Koalas as well. The bay was just beautiful with so many folk enjoying a variety of water sports in this top location. Seems ironic that it took 25,000ks of driving to rediscover Noosa, about 150ks from home. We are really blessed in Qld with a wonderful coast.

Hell's gate is probably aptly named, but on the day, the water was clear and calm. Dolphins could be seen swimming around the headland. A young lady asked me if I could take her photo with Hell's Gate and Alexandra Beach as the background. It was a windy day and she nearly took a tumble backwards over the cliff face and into deaths jaws. Fortunately she didn't fall any further than the initial stumble.

You just may have noticed that certain foods get mentioned in my blog, things like custard squares and vanilla slice. I didn't buy any of those at Noosa. But David and Mary joined us on the last night for a meal at the pub in Tewantin, enjoying the river views as the sun finally set on a fantastic journey. Marg and I ate healthy food, and Mary had Barramundi - something she loves as much as I love above mentioned slices/squares. I wont mention that for desert we all ate cheesecake, either lime or caramel. There was a special deal on surf and turf, a free bottle of South African shiraz wine. It was very good, probably softer on the pallet than some more robust Ausie wines.

So, now we are home, wondering why our house has so many doors, so many cups and tea spoons, too many cupboards, gardens that we have to care for, and of course, so many friends plus new neighbours in our Over 50s village. We are finding that it takes at least 45 minutes just to clear the letterbox! Then there was the Dentist today, Dr Tomorrow, new tyres for the MH, not forgetting wheel alignment and vehicle servicing.

It is definetly time to start planning adventure 2014, part 1 to Tasmania.



See you all on Travel Blog next year.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement we have received along the way.

Marg and Rob.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Noosa Nat. Park 02Noosa Nat. Park 02
Noosa Nat. Park 02

Gum trees on the waterfront - a Queensland iconic combination
Noosa Nat. Park 03Noosa Nat. Park 03
Noosa Nat. Park 03

Pandanas Palms, the other iconic tree on Australia's north eastern coast line.
Noosa Nat. Park 06Noosa Nat. Park 06
Noosa Nat. Park 06

Golden beaches
Hell's GateHell's Gate
Hell's Gate

I prefer to plan for Heaven's door


13th November 2013
The King of Noosa

Koala
Never enough of these photos.
13th November 2013

Enjoyed your travels
I have enjoyed travelling with you throughout your wonderful trip. Too bad it has to end because I love following Australian travellers. Till next time. A Canadian who loves Australia.
13th November 2013

home at last
so good to see you both well and happy, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip, I've enjoyed all your blogs so much---thank you.
16th November 2013

The last one just now
The lucky last of a great bunch of blogs. Good commentary and great pictures. Well done.

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb