Relaxing in Noosa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa Heads
January 30th 2006
Published: February 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Part of the deal we got with the Whitsundays sailing and Fraser Island was also one nights accomodation in Noosa. This was at the Noosa North Shore Backpackers, about a 10 minute drive out of the main town area. We didnt expect much but were pleasantly surprised by the accomodation provided. The units were in a parkland that is soon to become National Park, and each unit had its own kitchen, living area and ensuite facilities to each 8 bed dorm. We were sharing our unit with an Israeli and Italian guy and Finish girl. It was nice to have some space and also have loads of kangaroos, peacocks and horses on the land surrounding these units. There was also a lovely lake called Lake Cooribah with stunning sunsets, however the mozzies were awful, it was probably a funny sight seeing the pair of us jumping around trying to take pictures.

We decided that we didn't really want to do much here as we were quite tired from the constant travelling and touring we had done since leaving Sydney. We had one night originally booked but extended it to 2 as it was only $20 per night.

One of
Dinner timeDinner timeDinner time

These are the Kangaroos who sniffed out our dinner
the days we headed into Noosa town for a look around, it's a pretty place but also quite pricey for us travellers. All the houses in the area looked like they cost a small fortune and the restaurants were leaning on the expensive side too. e.g the internet cafe in town was $8 per hour, double what it costs elsewhere.

The beach was nice and relaxing, but it was extremely hot so we only spent a couple of hours on it, most of the time under a palm tree. We decided that we'd prefer to be back at our hostel as there was also a pool there. There were 2 funny cockatoo's there, one spent the evenings hanging around the bar, quite literally walking up and down the bar as people were ordering their drinks. The other 'Fred' was not so lucky and was kept in a cage outside, apparantly he likes to nip peoples fingers. He was quite a chatty bird though, favourite phrase being 'Scratch' where he would lift his wing up for you to scratch him, then he swore at us which was hilarious.

One evening we were preparing spaghetti for dinner (our staple diet recently) and we were joined by a group of kangaroos, some ducks and the nosey peacock, all of whom could smell our dinner. The kangaroos there were pretty friendly and most of them would let you get close. There was also a mother and her joey hopping around the place, and you could tell that he hadnt left the pouch for long as he was doing some pretty crazy hopping.

We met some very crazy Aussie blokes in the bar one night, they were extremely drunk and telling us some funny stories, not sure if all of them were true, but they were funny none the less. They were waiting for the tide to go out so they could drive back up the beach to Rainbow Beach, better on the beach than on the road we reckon !

Many of the people staying in the hostel were travellers, and were working at the resort to pay for accomodation there. It was a lovely and quiet place, but thought we should move on after a couple of days as there wasnt all that much to do.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb