Undara Lava tubes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mount Surprise
April 19th 2014
Published: April 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We headed off from Townsville to Undara Lava tubes on Thursday before Easter. Travelled west from Townsville on the Harvey's Range road. First stop was Greenvale, not very exciting but very clean loos at the servo. Had a bite of lunch at The Lynd junction. Fuel was fairly reasonably priced and not too different from Townsville. Road was very busy with others heading off for a camping weekend like we were. After almost 5 hours we pulled into the Lava Tubes resort. We had booked a powered site at $18 per person. Perhaps a little expensive by camping standards especially as we only used the power for the Waeco and to recharge the phones.

On Fridau morning we did the half day tour. it was OK but again $100per person which could be seen as being costly for a family. Steve the tour guide was great. After returning to a campsite that had exploded with people, we had some lunch then wandered off around the 100mile swamp. The swamp is so named because it was on the original track that the gold miners used and is in fact 100miles from Cardwell.

The walk was great, but the landscape does not change. Very easy to see how tourists could become disorientated and lost.

alcohol athe bar was quite reasonably priced, beer was about $5 and good wine about $6.50 a glass.

Saturday we went to Mt Surprise which is about 40km away. Had a quick drive around before stopping at the Gem Den. Here we bought a bag of wash for $20 and scored a couple of nice stones including three topaz stones with cutting. Here we also found a large quartz crystal that is quite nice.

Had a fire, if you come here make sure you bring your own firewood as that can be pricey. People near us paid $9 for a bag of 4 pieces of wood.



Heading home via Townsville tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb