Wall E goes to Noosa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Maroochydore
November 29th 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Things With WingsThings With WingsThings With Wings

I think this is what they call an Orthetrum villosovittatum - Also called a bog skimmer or pond skimmer, male dragonfly. Don't ask me how I know it is male... tee hee... actually the male has a red body and the female is more of a brownish orange body. The legs point forward so that it can catch its prey mid flight.
Today, was exceptionally warm and humid, we needed to get out for the day and stop thinking about tents and trailers, there was a need to just get out and explore.

We left Alexandra Headland on route to Noosa and beyond, if we could make it happen, just felt desperate to move.

We filled the truck up with 125 Litres of Diesel which came to £71.00 UK (bearing in mind we have in addition to the main tank a sub tank and an additional 20 litre diesel can. We had loaded the truck with the Swag on the off chance that we decided to stay out tonight, some food in the form of a picnic, and our 25 Litre Water container half filled (so ready for action).

The roads were really quiet so we meandered along, in no kind of hurry. All along the roads there were places for water skiing, fishing, jet skiing, they really have it sorted for an outdoor life. Recreational facilites are provided in abundance. Also there are so many dirt bikes out here, as there is so much land to ride them on.

Some of the properties Ocean side on the way
CarolineCarolineCaroline

Taken at Point Arkwright
up were mind blowing, really beautiful places, that must have cost a packet.

We arrived in Noosa around lunch time and wanted to find somewhere quiet for coffee, however in driving through we found ourselves out on Laguna Bay.

Before I go any further let me tell you girls - we had been told about how fabulous Noosa is and the scenery is stunning - well I really cannot argue with that - the scenery was truly amazing and I am not talking about the laguna, the luscious greenery or the heavy surf, I am talking about the bronzed, sun bleached blonde, muscular bodies that seemed to line the edge of the water. Wow!

So we decided to pull in along the front and have our sandwiches, then go for a walk up to the spit.

On the way we bought an ice cream. Even that was an adventure, after deliberating over the flavour I watched the German girl put some ice cream into a funnel, then she turned to the fridge and grabbed a spoonful of fresh strawberries which in turn ended up in the funnel. on goes the lid and a quick spin later
Point ArkwrightPoint ArkwrightPoint Arkwright

Another beautiful Australian Location
my strawberry ice cream was oozing into a cone. Not the best of cones as it fell apart with the melting ice cream in the searing heat of the day. I felt like a five year old as the ice cream dripped all over my t-shirt it was all over my hands and my face.

Typically when finding myself in such a state, we met some people who commented on the ice cream. David and Caroline Draper, who come from Perth and are now living in the Noosa area. They left Perth on 3rd September, driving across the Nullarbor and 4500 kilometres in just under 3 weeks just in time to meet David’s sister from New Zealand.

We spent a good hour talking to this lovely couple, they were very interested in what we were doing and they gave us very good advice for which again we are grateful to receive from “local” people; i.e. those who know better than we do.

Moving on from here we decided to head up to scope out the ferry that takes you from Tewantin to the North Shore as next week we want to head up Rainbow Beach, Double Island
OoopsOoopsOoops

These 2 looked a tad sheepish when they saw us watching them. she did not look very interested.
and then the ferry over to Fraser Island. The ferry is only a short distance and it costs $6.00. Although this pretty much depends on what Australia Zoo says about when we can volunteer for them.

We saw a wild kangaroo on the way to complete with Joey, a rather large Joey that was fit to burst out of the pouch, all you could see where gangly legs and a head poking out. They are so big they seem not to be able to sit in there properly so it looks like bum goes in first! Then moving on we saw loads of wild Kangaroo including a rather large male that was doing very rude things to his girlfriend. He seemed to be having a good time, but she did not look impressed. They had not got to the cigarette stage yet. Andy said at least he did not have to take her out for dinner.

While watching the kangaroo’s Andy was bitten on the toe by a “killer” Ant. Poor Andy. Apparently it really hurt and now his foot is swollen up. I guess we will have to use our first aid kit after all, but I am not sure that we have anything for “killer” Ant bites.

Arriving back in Alex, shower and change and out for a curry tonight to India Today on Aerodrome Road in Maroochydore. Gary we can recommend this curry house, when you come over we will take you, even if we are living in Perth (of course only being 5000 km away)

We never had our coffee in Noosa, we only now get to have a coffee while we do our internet time in Starbucks. Skyped Mary and looked for others on Skype

Earlier I asked Andy for the binoculars, he rummaged around in the back of the truck (name yet to be confirmed) and instead of picking up binoculars he picked up the Nissan twin cupholders and put them up to his eyes instead..... I fell about laughing as he looked the spitting image of Wall E - for those of you who like to watch films! Anyway we found it funny.

It is offiically the first day of Australian Summer on Monday 1st December.

That's all for now folks, it is 10.00pm we are both exhausted after another long day, we seem to get up early over here, it is easy to with the daylight hours so by this time I am truly falling asleep.










Advertisement



30th November 2008

Hello Travellers, Loving the blogs, very funny. Wow Andy i didn't realise you had blonde hair and muscular body and love to surf you kept that quiet? Oops sorry Caroline mean't someone else silly me!! Sounds fantastic out there guy's very jealous, what i would like to see is a picture of Andy surfing or trying to? look forward to the next blog i'm of to bed now lovely 5 o'clock start tomorrow good night or in your case good morning Glyn and the wife x

Tot: 0.593s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 205; dbt: 0.38s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb