East Coast Road Trip - Day 14 - Mackay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Makay
June 8th 2009
Published: July 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rockhampton - Mackay

The Queen’s birthday today, not that I would have ever known, apart from the fact it is advertised everywhere, and for most Australians it is a public holiday.

So let’s start off with a morning riddle. What do you do when you have a stomach full of meat from the night before? Well, pile more meat on top of it of course! We have a sausage sandwich for breakfast and it sits there like a lead balloon.

Back on the road again, feel like the littlest hobo at the moment - “Maybe tomorrow, I’ll want to settle down, until tomorrow, I’ll just keep moving on.” (OK, how many of you sang the words as you read them?). We still haven’t seen any cows yet, perhaps they’ve already been taken to the abattoir. “Dead cow walking, dead cow walking down the green mile” Green being, appropriately, the colour of grass, how clever am I?

Rather than drive straight to Airlie Beach, we decide to stop off at a town called Mackay for the night. It’s another small town with not much in it, but it’s quiet pretty all the same. We arrive about 3pm and see signs for a free freshwater lagoon in the centre of town, which sounds amazing after 5 hours of driving in a hot car with no air-con. So we head straight there. It’s so nice to have a cool swim, feels like it’s been ages since we’ve been swimming, especially as you can’t go swimming in northern Queensland due to the Box Jelly Fish.

We stay at a backpackers called Gecko Rest, which is pretty basic, but at least we get our own fridge in the room. Greg is gutted that the people in the TV room are watching the news instead of Neighbours and Masterchef. We make enough pasta to feed a small army along with some homemade garlic bread and sweet potato chips. Finished the evening off with yet more Uno.


Advertisement



2nd July 2009

East Coast Road Trip - Day 14 - Mackay
Really your East Coast Road Trip was fantastic! When i read your story i feel that I should be there for enjoying with you. In summer i always prefer to go on beaches. http://www.cheaphotels.ie

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb