Magnetic Island - Day 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
May 10th 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The journey down the east coast started today and we were up early to catch our Greyhound bus to Townsville. Fortunately we'd walked the route the night before as Jo was still half asleep and suggested walking in the wrong direction!

Once aboard it was a case of getting comfortable and trying to sleep, although a young kid did initially threaten to spoil the journey with a few screams albeit he fortunately settled down.

Stopping at Cardwell our 5 hour drive passed by quickly with the highlight for Will being a brief drive along the V8 Supercup track coming into Townsillve before getting to the ferry terminal conveniently next to the bus stop!

Fortunately we were soon boarding the ferry although we had to listen to a lady adamantly telling another passenger for the whole journey that she wasn't mad and her doctor had incorrectly prescribed her antidepressants!

The bus journey to our hostel was a hilly ride as we passed across the tropical island. Our accommodation is advertised as being Eco friendly and soon after checking in we were getting to meet the local wildlife with a Gecko climbing the wall of our hut and Curlew walking the path outside.

Keen to explore we walked down the road to Horseshoe Bay to pick up supplies fir dinner and see what it had to offer. After a quick walk we realised we were out of a commercially developed area, but the beach looked good and we had enough for a vegetable stir-fry!

Having freshened up we headed to the hostel bar for a few glasses of snake bite and games of coconut bowling to the quite disturbing sunset chorus of the Curlew.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb