Magnetic Island (27 - 29 Sept 2010)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
October 4th 2010
Published: October 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

TownsvilleTownsvilleTownsville

Ferry to Magnetic Island
It took us 452km with our little rental car to reach Townsville, the capital city of the North of Queensland. Townsville isn't really touristic but the thing to visit here is the island on the opposite of Townsville, Magnetic Island.

Magnetic Island received its name from Captain Cook due that his compass was acting very strange when his boat was passing the island. It never happened again… he probably had too many beers…

The island is really relaxed and has several amazing deserted beaches that are only accessible through very small footpaths. We did Balding Bay but the best is apparently Florence Bay. The walk is a bit hard with the sun and all but with a deserved surprise at the end!

Many people you encounter feel a bit frustrated of not seeing enough wild animals. Well, if you don't see it here you won't see it anywhere! Our YHA camping had kangoroes, possums, parrots and some other strange animals I don't know the name all over the place. At night it gets really scary and you hear loud crying… it starts from really far and suddenly it is next to your tent... I thought it was haunted children flying through the forests… and NO I did not eat mushrooms and had only 1 beer that night. Actually, I even found out the next night that it was a weird looking bird that was making that noise…

Oh before I finish, don't miss the 2h walk through the National Park till the Forts, a spectacular look out on all beaches will be waiting for you. You may even encounter a totally wild Koala if you are lucky as us!

We are now heading further down south and will keep you posted when something cool comes up!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

A possum in the kitchen
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

Horseshoe Bay
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

The hard walk to the beach. Manu managed a smile for the picture. Good girl!
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

Balding Bay
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

This is the weard bird making this haunted children sound.
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

Look out on Arthur's Bay
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

My proof of having seen a real wild koala.
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

Look out from the Forts


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb