Magnetic Island to Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
June 28th 2007
Published: August 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset on Magnetic IslandSunset on Magnetic IslandSunset on Magnetic Island

We rode bikes to the shop, the view was beautiful but the ride up the hill to see it was a killer!


On the road again ..... after a brillaint boat trip we set off towards Magnetic Island which is a really chilled out place with a few little beach villages, its surrounding waters are part of the Great Barrier Reef. Captain Cook named it Magnetic Island after his compass went perculiar as he sailed by!
We managed to get a hostel after many phone calls a peaceful little area, hardly anyone about at all it was bliss! We met up with some friends and all went out for the night to a party on the beach with a full moon gleaming!

Next few days were spent relaxing on a deserted beach ( not so relaxing finding the beach! ) It was meant to be a short walk but as usual we took a wrong turn.. found ourselves halfway down a mountain rock climbing with no option but to continue down as too steep to go up! Came very familiar with Australian spiky grass called spinifex!
After the relief of reaching the botton and walking on the beach we found one person to ask how on earth they got down there..... of course there was a much easier trail, a small hill... we took this route back!

Next day we rented scooters for the day...SO much fun! I was a bit nervous as have difficulty riding a push bike but soon got the hang of it and was racing around the island! Its only small so we managed to see everything including lots of possom and walabies. We also followed some trails to Forts which were designed to protect Townsville ( the city acroos from the island) from naval attack in World War 2.

Kate left to go and work on a farm so i continued up to Cains where i spent a week with some Irish lads which we had met in Whitsundays, a week of nice weather, food and drinks. Didn't think much of Cains itself but had loads of fun...contimplated doing a bungee jump to kill some time while waiting for Kate but thought better of it in the end!

From Cains to Darwin...............

After receiving many job offers to work in the outback Kate and I decided to go to the one furthest away ! All the way to western Australia! We therefore decided to make a trip of it and stop off in Darwin the capital of the Northern Territory. Its the main link between Australia and Asia.
I didnt have such a great time in Darwin as had some sort of freak illness for the week where i was bedridden, a not so nice noisy hostel is not a nice place to feel poorley, just wanted my bed at home and mum to look after me although Kate did do a good job! Slightly embarrasing after having cold sweats in the middle of the night and having to go down to reception with soaking wet sheets asking for more, Im sure they thought i had wet the bed untill they realised i was shaking and looked like i was about to pass out!
We had previoulsy booked a day trip to Litchfield National Park so didnt want to miss it, managed to see a few things but spent most of the day asleep in the coach while Kate was off Eating termites and ants and all sorts...dont ask...!

Jumping Crocodiles was first on the itinery.... Salt water Crocs...the v.dangerous ones! They can grow up to 7 m in length! It was a riverboat cruise where the guide dangles meat off a rod teasing the croc to jump up put of the water and go crashing down again. The rest of the day was spent visiting waterfalls, creeks and lakes. We had a crazy guide who was entertaining the whole day so it would of been fun if i hadnt of felt so awlful...!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rocky beachRocky beach
Rocky beach

This is the beach we climbed down a mountain to get to ....
Termite MoundTermite Mound
Termite Mound

kate had a bite out of this one...
Road kill cafe at Mindil Beach marketRoad kill cafe at Mindil Beach market
Road kill cafe at Mindil Beach market

we tried some crocodile but it tasted like rubber chicken, didnt fancy a possom sausage somehow!
John, Simon Ian and MarkJohn, Simon Ian and Mark
John, Simon Ian and Mark

Irish lads we met on Fraser island and continued to meet up with to Cains


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb