Finch Hatton Gorge & Proserpine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mackay
July 18th 2012
Published: July 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-languageƐ mso-fareast-languageƐ mso-bidi-languageƐ}
Congratulations to my friend John on his retirement! I hope it’s a long and enjoyable one! And I still miss our theatre/opera trips!





We finally decided to move on from Mackay and drove 85km west to Finch Hatton Gorge. A beautiful natural spot on the border of the Eungella National Park, it’s renowned for its platypus population and terrific nature walks. To get to the start of the walking tracks you have to drive through several creeks, but they were all flooded from the recent rain. After our recent experience, we immediately decided not to risk it and started walking instead. The rainforest in this area is absolutely beautiful. There are a few accommodation options around and we came past the awesome Platypus Bush Camp, a gorgeous back-to-nature bush retreat with hot showers amidst the rainforest. I desperately wanted to camp there for a night but the creek’s water level just wouldn’t drop.



Dean carried on walking to the Araluen Cascades and had me green with envy when he returned with many lovely photos. The Eungella National Park covers nearly 500 sq km of the Clarke Range and there are several more waterfalls and rock pools to explore.







We spent that night free camping in the sprawling sugar mill town of Proserpine, ready to head on to Airlie Beach in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rainforest shower!Rainforest shower!
Rainforest shower!

Rainforest shower!


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb