Rockhampton to Mackay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mackay
August 21st 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 20th August
Left Rockhampton and headed to St Lawrence (free camping site 88) for a free overnighter - we were told that this campsite was very good and it was. It was at the St Lawrence show grounds and there must have been about 60 campers by the time night fell. We pulled into the parking lot which has a little bit of grass, most of the grounds were dirt. There was a short walk to a wetland lake which had lots of bird life on it - black swans, magpie geese and plenting of different types of ducks etc. Just a short walk into town for any essentials - it was a great spot, and the best toilets for a free site, better than a lot of caravan park toilets.
We set ourselves up and prepared to turn on our 12volt for the lights etc and nothing worked, then we realised that our battery was flat - we were quite dissapointed as we were told that the battery should stay charged while we are in caravan parks while we were on power. Will have to check out this problem before our next free camp adventure. Our fridge & stove runs on gas and we had torches so we managed ok but it would have been nice to have it all working. Had to run the shower off the car battery, which is always a worry, so it was a very short shower but did the job.
Sunday 21st August
Headed off to Mackay - saw a sugar cane train on the way, first one we had seen on the move.
Checked into the Bucasia Beachside caravan park for a week $224 ($32pn). This park is right on the beach with lovely views over the ocean but is a little delapidated due to a resort being developed on the site sometime in the future. It is just up the road to where Dawn (John's sister), Tania and Ray live so quite convienent.
Dawn took us to have a look at the Hertiage listed Eimeo hotel which is right on the top a hill with fantastic views across the bay and joined John up as a member at the Mackay Northern Beaches Bowling Club (which is just down the road from us and Dawn and family are also members).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb