Yoga Mala


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Kuranda
August 30th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Two days before the planned Yoga Mala, I fell on my butt. Yes it was from a table and No I wasn't dancing! I was helping decorate a classroom with some amazing grade one art work. While this activated my Svadistan Chakra like a bolt of lightening and was in response to exactly what I had asked the Universe for "Please help me understand the women in my yoga classes who have back problems", it seemed not such convenient timing!

All the same, the date was set and advice from Katrina, my inspiring local teacher, was to get back on the mat and keep moving my body! You have to take note of such wisdom and proceed with caution when your yoga teacher also gives you orange cloth to wear!

So, local yogis came together to salute the sun 108 times in the name of service. This year, all funds raised will be contributed to the local Kassowary Circus group to purchase new equipment and Jadan School in the desert of India (http://www.jadanschool.blogspot.com/), making education possible for local village children. In short, two worthy and yogic causes, investing in the youth of today! It was also the start of a sister relationship between the two school groups. All interested bodies were encouraged to participate; prepare their bodies and minds and seek sponsorship from friends to join us on the day.

In light of the prevalence of many health issues affecting local people, we were also keen to promote some of the benefits of yoga. Why yoga? Yoga is finding balance, from movement to inner stillness. Moving the physical body in order to let go of the emotional baggage = active bodies, healthy minds, peaceful society.

Why 108? A mala, a string of beads used for meditation and significance in a range of traditions, has 108 beads on it. The image of a mala, with individual beads connected together for a single purpose, is inspiring and uplifting. The yoga mala was an effort to support the health of our local community. All donations were very gratefully received. Many thanks to the local yogis who braved the morning rain to participate under the beautiful tree in the park.

Of course, it was also my turn to be on the other end and be extremely well cared for by everyone during my butt rehab. Everything from warm baths, oils, chocolate, hot water bottles, acupuncture... even a mattress for the tent! The best friends in the Universe!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th October 2010

Get Better Soon Kath!
Ouch. Nuture yourself and return to good health soon! Marg.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb