A night at Innisfail


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Innisfail
August 3rd 2010
Published: August 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


From Ayr we drove to Townsville where we were tourists around their beautiful waterfront called the Strand, did some necessary shopping at their hectic strip malls and then went on to the peace and quiet that is Rollingstone, about 50klms north of Townsville.

Our time there was great as always, we walked along their beach, swam in their pool, rode our bikes around the park and all in all had a lovely time. The weather was great - 28C each day - what more could we want? We've booked in for five nights there on our way back home. Sadly, we've been booking everywhere after seeing just how many people are travelling, we'd rather not be tied down but otherwise might end up with nowhere to stay!

We packed up this morning to continue our travels. We drove to Ingham .. they have a very big sugar mill there and there are cane fields as far as the eye can see, and in the background, the jagged, jungley mountain range. We decided to get off the highway and go and look at the beach in from there - Forrest Beach, quite a nice beach to walk around. There are so many lines for the little cane trains criss-crossing the road alongside the cane fields where there is always something happening - cutting, loading, etc.

The best beaches are out at the many islands that are in the Barrier Reef but once in awhile there's a nice mainland beach up here. Forrest was one, then Lucinda, popular with tourists and the end of the line for the sugar after being crushed .. it's taken to the huge silos at Lucinda and then, presumably, sent along the almost 6 klm jetty that goes out through the shallow to deeper water to be loaded onto ships.

We called into the new marina and estate at Caldwell to enquire about the ferry to nearby Hinchinbrook Island and picked up brochures .. yet another thing to do On The Way Back .. we should be turning around now to fit all all the OTWB things we want to do!

We were back on the highway and noticed a sign to Tully Heads so once more turned off the highway. It was quite nice there, where the Tully river runs out to sea, a popular seaside town with new estates being built ... looks like Tully Heads has gorn too.

Tonight will be here at Innisfail and tomorrow we'll be in Cairns.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Rollingstone to Innisfail Rollingstone to Innisfail
Rollingstone to Innisfail

I love the hills in the background, the cane in the foreground
Boating harbour, CaldwellBoating harbour, Caldwell
Boating harbour, Caldwell

This is a new estate with big houses and good marina - the ferry goes from here to Hinchinbrook Island


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb