Back to the Futra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gympie
June 22nd 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We awoke fairly early thanks to our complimentary wake up call care of Ethan who, like us, was not much enamoured with getting dressed and facing the day. after breakfast we sat outside on the front porch basking in the sunlight and planning our journey northwards. Jody-Ann and Jeremy live with the lovely 8 month old Luca and the wisely cheeky faced Ethan down stairs in a house beautiful self contained house which Ian has been renovating. the night before we were given the grand tour while Ethan watched Veggie Tales, a Christian moral based video series which i again have fond memories of from my time in Alexandria (the jazzy Rumour Weed was a definite favourite).

Sunday lunch was a lively family affair, being a joint birthday celebration for Ian and a family meet up as Andrew's Granda Jim was in Australia. Jim's brother George and his wife Eleanor came over as did all of the grandchildren who were thoroughly amused by a Thomas the Tank Engine train set in much the same way the Wilson household was when we were their age (minus the discussions about whether we were old enough to understand the logistics of engineering the track to cope with two trains going different directions). the noise for me was a welcome change from our rather quiet travels, and all was fairly calm compared to the hyperactive excitedness of Friday night.

It being another lovely sunny day it we decided to join Jim for a stroll round the block admiring the area and the beautiful houses round a bout.

When we returned we were treated to our first Aussie BBQ with sausages, burgers, salads and plenty more besides. It is unbelievable that this is the depths of their winter and yet the Australians can still fire up the barbie in the sunshine.

After eating i was in for a real treat as Heidi had very kindly offered to sort my hair out for me. having not been to the hair dressers for almost a year (slight forgetfulness and a very slow attempt to grow my hair), it was lovely to get the full treatment by a professional even if i was embarrassed at my own wonky attempts to trim my nest. despite Andrew's giggles about me wearing foils, i felt as pretty as Giselle sweetly told me i was!

We stayed and chatted to Jennifer, Elaine's younger sister, and the ladies respective husband's who we got some sound advice in terms of places to stop off up north (good call on Agnes Waters btw!) and i helped make another train track. we eventually made bid our farewells having very much enjoyed being made to feel at home. the whole family had been really welcoming and i left very warm and very clean. Andrew is lucky to have such a wonderful extended family in such a lovely part of the world. perhaps i should further investigate mine. we left with offers of hopeful accommodation in London or at the least a good roast dinner before i once again took to the wheel.

We parked up for the night at 6 mile creek rest area just north of the amusingly named Gympie. we had been so well fed we didn't need dinner so settled down for a quiet night and a good natter.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb