Zig zagging Across the Border and on the Gold Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast
September 4th 2015
Published: September 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The road from MurwillumbahThe road from MurwillumbahThe road from Murwillumbah

With Mt Warning ahead
We left Tweed Heads and drove on the old highway towards Murwillumbah. I love this road beside the Tweed River, cane fields and Mt Warning in view ahead. When we were at the Murwillumbah Art Gallery earlier in the year, we stood on the balcony and were very impressed with the green, lush country spread before us, and this was where we now were driving, towards the mountains. We were going to the Natural Arch, now called the Natural Bridge.

We drove about 20 kilometres through pretty farmland and then up steep hills, poor motor home! once more crossing the border into Queensland. We stopped at the carpark and took the path. I love walking in cool dense rain forests and this was beautiful. Tall gums, strangler figs, vines, palms carrying birds nest ferns high on their trunks. As we've found in other rainforests, there is a lot of birdsong..

I found a youtube clip which has the sounds of an Australian rainforest, you can hear the whipbird.
">


There were many steps and a steep path down. We reached the bottom where a creek bubbled over big rocks, then walked yet further - and there was the
Love a walk through a rainforestLove a walk through a rainforestLove a walk through a rainforest
Arch, complete with waterfall coming through the roof. Part of the Arch is a big cave which Doug went into, glow worms are inside but weren't glowing for him. It was all very pretty. We then had the quite steep walk back up to the car park and the motor home.

We thought we'd head north to Palm Beach, following the pretty Tweed Valley drive again, but 'we' took a wrong turn and once more we were heading up mountains on a narrow steep road. We couldn't turn around so kept on. Finally the road wound down and we found we had actually come over the mountain between the Tweed and the Currumbin - we were in the Currumbin Valley. It's a nice drive beside Currumbin Creek and this also leads to Palm Beach.

Our destination was to see Mum and Dad's old house, or where it had been. We'd been told it had been pulled down, indeed it had. Two homes are being built in it's place. It's sad to see the changes, we had so many happy family holidays there, where Mum and Dad managed to find room for all of us, one Christmas there were
Bird nest ferns high in the canopyBird nest ferns high in the canopyBird nest ferns high in the canopy
16 of us staying in their home. Our holidays there were wonderful, the children had fun on the beach of Tallebudgera Creek at the back of their house, they swam and sailed, and we all spent a lot of time in their pool, wonderful memories.

We continued on then to the Tallebudgera caravan park for our two nights' stay. Today a change of pace, we'll ride the new tramway between Pacific Fair and Southport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Natural Arch/BridgeNatural Arch/Bridge
Natural Arch/Bridge

A cave, a hole in the arch, a waterfall
Inside the caveInside the cave
Inside the cave


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb