Gold Coast!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast
June 12th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Whilst on my diving course, we became friends with a guy called Con (this is who introduced us to Toppie) and he was kind enough to offer to let us stay at his place whilst on the Gold Coast. I honestly can't thank him enough for his generosity while we stayed there, had a brilliant time.

Anyway, the Gold Coast is split into many different areas along an enormous beach!!! The bus dropped us off at Surfers Paradise and our friend Con picked us up and took us to drop our stuff off at his apartment. OH MY GOSH!!! It was amazing. He lives in an apartment block just set back from Main Beach on the 22nd Floor and so has the most fantastic views ever! After feeling a bit gobsmacked and slightly nervous we were staying somewhere so nice (not used to that at all now!) we headed off to Con's Deli (MBD - check out the website http://www.m-b-d.com.au/ ) in Broadbeach and had some drinks. I could literally have eaten the whole shop but I was still feeling too groggy after the coach trip to eat.

Had a wander around then Con picked us back up and we went back to his. Went out for dinner at the surf club (hehe - felt like I was in Home and Away) which was cool and then Con drove us to the end of the spit to have a look at the fishermen and scare me with stories about massive enormous sharks! Unfortunately it was raining a little but still so warm even if the locals didn't think so.

Next day after letting in Con's cleaner we headed out to his deli for breakfast - sooooooooooo good! Then headed off down the beach to Q Deck in Surfers Paradise which is just a massive viewing tower. We had a really good view and then watched the rain clouds from the sea roll in. Pretty dramatic. Manged to avoid the rain by hanging out in an internet cafe and booked our whale watch trip. Headed back to Cons and did what I had longed to do for ages.... sit down and just watch TV!

Next day we got up early for our whale watch and the sun had come out and the weather was great. The sea sickness warning was moderate so I took some stuff just as a precaution.... so glad I did! Once out in the ocean the swell was massive. We were on a this really cool $3.5 million boat but it was still quite small compared to the waves and so many people were being ill most of the time. Thankfully I just felt a bit crappy and sitting outside was enough to keep me OK. It was early in the whale season and despite the fact there were some spotted the day before (saw it on the news) and we stayed out for longer than they would normally and went out further than normal we didn't see any. Turns out none of the other whale watch boats or any of the fishing boats had seen any. Thankfully we did see a big pod of Common Dolphin (which actually are quite unusual) and we also had some Offshore Bottlenose dolphins ride along with our boat. If you don't see a whale you get a refund or chance to rebook. We had originally said we would just get a refund but we were well up for seeing one so we rebooked for the Saturday.
We then went off to Surfers Paradise and went and played a few silly games in the arcade and won enough tickets for a ball, pack of "Dora the Explorer" playing cards and a magnetic travel game set... WINNERS!!! That night the news explained that further down the coast (Lennox Heads) there was a tornado which was very unusual... this would explain why the sea was so rough and there were no whales. Apparently, in bad weather they head to deeper waters so we pretty much had no chance that day!

Next day we went to Wet n Wild which is basically an outdoor water theme park. The sun was shining and it was really quiet because of the time of year. I can imagine on a summers day it would be packed out and not as fun. Anyway, they really do think of everything in Australia (very sensible people) and instead of carrying everything round you get a barcode wristband which opens your locker. On this wristband you can also load on money to buy lunch and scan it before you go on a ride so all your ride pictures are linked and you can therefore buy them at the end and look at them all together. Went in the wave machine pool then did all the extreme rides. They were more scary than they should have been as mine and Dan's combined weight was a little bit over the limit so going down the many slides and stuff we went really really fast and I was a little scared we would fly off the end! We survived and had an awesome day in the sun! Dan cut his arm open on a racing slide (but as our time in Laos showed - Dan is a bit accident prone when in water) but I think hanging around in the chlorine all day helped heal my toe nicely - it is fine now by the way - thanks for the advice about it Sarah!

That evening Con took us out to meet all his friends in a local bar in Main Beach. It was a lot of fun, maybe too much fun!

Next morning we had to wake up early for our whale watch. In my slightly hungover state we scrambled our stuff together and Cons housemate Dena gave us a lift up to Seaworld Whale Watch point. Before we left Con gave us Vitamin E and some other health stuff and a health juice - he's a bit of a fitness freak - and it did make me feel a lot better! I was really to face the waves even though today's weather was perfect and the sun was out and the sea looked calm. Got there and wandered why it was so quiet. Turns out there was a severe sea sickness warning and the tour was cancelled. So gutted but slightly pleased as my hangover was still lingering. Turn out although it looked calm down on the beach there was massive swell out at sea. With our refund sorted we went to the actual Seaworld theme park instead and saw lots of cool stuff including a dolphin and its calf, we touched a ray and a starfish, went on the worst ride of all time, watched a brilliant dolphin show, saw the most enormous scariest shark i have ever seen and watched an Seaworld rescue film. I thought it was a very moving film and reminded me how stupid humans are and reconfirmed why I don't eat any fish or seafood - fishing is so unsustainable and destructive! Anyway, off my soapbox now!

After seaworld we got ready for a night out with Con and some of his other friends. Toppie had also come down from Brisbane which was ace! Went to an amazing restaurant called Helenika and then carried on to a bar in Surfers Paradise where Toppie bought us all sambuca - this reminded me why i never drink sambuca - it's gross!!!

Next day we all went for a recovery breakfast at Con's Deli - Toppie had us in hysterical laughter before we even arrived - such a funny guy! After that it was time to go and get on the bus to Byron. It was so sad to leave and can't wait till they all come to London.

As I said before Con was so generous during our stay and we are very grateful!


PS - thanks for everyone's messages again sorry I am not able to reply individually to them. Well done Ms Jones on the new job and I hope your hand gets better soon Grandma! Glad you are enjoying the blogs Nicky - I'm surprised anyone is still reading them!


PPS - computer is being terribly slow so no photos again

Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb