Gold Coast to Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
April 14th 2010
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In the morning we sat in the camp kitchen at Mount warning and a Kookaburra came over and got really close and friendly with us. We got some great shots of him and he stayed with us for a couple of hours while we ate breakfast. We left the camp around lunchtime and headed off on our trip to Brisbane along the Gold Coast. We have heard that this coast is really built up and looks a little like the coast from Malaga to Marbella. It is not far and once we hit Tweed Heads we have crossed over from New South Wales into Queensland where the remiander of our trip all the way to Cape York will be.

As we hit the gold coast road it does remind me of either an American highway with shops on one side and high rise apartment blocks on the sea front, or also a little like the N340 drive from Malaga. The beaches still are stunning though and once we get to Surfers Paradise we stop for lunch and afterwards Shenton jumps in the sea. The surf is not so good but he has fun in the water as he says the current is so strong it just keeps pushing him into the shore. I think the name Surfers Paradise is a bit misleading these days as it is not a particulaly good place for surf but it is where all the backpackers go to have a good time and is full of bars and clubs.

We head to Scarbourgh, which really doesnt look anything like its namesake in the UK and pick up the keys to the place we are staying at for the next week in Redcliff. We are out of Tank for this week as Shentons dad arrives tomorrow and we thought it would be nice for him to relax in comfort before he gets into the Tank way of life. The apartment is lovely and we are right on the beach with a path oiutside our balcony that leads in one way to Scarbourgh and the other towards woody head. This runs for 6km one way and 10 km the other and it is alll along the sea front.

We have chosen to stay here as it is close to where Shenton grew up and so there are lots of memories around this area, It is also where his sister Jacqui was born.

We spend our first day exploring Brisbane and then pick up Shentons dad from the airport late that evening As we got to the car park Michael immediately saw Tank and said "I bet thats your car", his next question was where was he going to sit, after he saw the bed in the back, but I assured him that the three seats in the front were perfectly adequate then I proceeded to get in and sit with one leg either side of the CB radio and gear stick. He is really excited to be back after 35 years of being away and even in the dark is having some lovely memories of his time as a police officer here. As we are driving back it starts to rain, it is getting harder and harder and after about 15km Michael says to Shenton " aren't you going to use your windscreen wipers?" Well we look at each other then admin Tanks wipers aren't working at the minute and one of us has to jump out and manually pull them across if we want to use them. Michael says "Iv'e come 12 thousand miles to be driven aorund by a couple of lunatics!" but then of course he has to realise he is with me and his son Shenton, what did he expect? :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb