At Gladstone with whale tails from Hervey Bay!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gladstone
August 3rd 2010
Published: August 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi all
We are now heading north again up the coast towards Cairns.
After getting the van serviced at Caboolture, we spent 3 nights at Mudjimba, on the Sunshine Coast. It was good to catch up again with Jan and Rowan, and Chris and Kurt, but the weather was mostly drizzle and rain. It's the first time we've had to hook up in pouring rain in almost 2 years of travelling. Chris had to change his clothes before we drove off as he got so wet, even with a jacket on.
Jan and Rowan decided to come with us (with their van), and we headed off to Hervey Bay for 2 nights in a council caravan park on the beachfront. Unfortunately, the birds had found it too - thousands of rainbow lorrikeets came in each afternoon, and made so much noise we could hardly hear each other talk. They started up again about 5am, and messed on lots of the vans and cars. Luckily we weren't under trees, so ours wasn't too bad. We were joined there also by friends of Jan and Rowan's from Bundaberg, Denise and Paul. We all went out whale watching one day on Mikat. It was a beautiful sunny calm day, with a bit of fog at first. The whales were very close to our boat at times, even going under the boat just under the surface. We also saw dolphins and turtles.
From Hervey Bay Chris and I went on to Woodgate Bay, a lovely white sand beach with a National Park on the other side of the camping ground. We even managed a swim the next morning, and sat and enjoyed the beach for a few hours before heading on to Bundaberg to spend 2 nights with Denise and Paul. Jan and Rowan rejoined us there after spending a night at their son's place. The 3 acres gave us all plenty of room to park up. From there we explored more of the Bundaberg area.
Today we left them to come north to Gladstone for a few days. On the way we stopped at the Mystery Craters, near Gin Gin.
We plan to explore Gladstone and surrounding area tomorrow.
Regards
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Our campsite tonightOur campsite tonight
Our campsite tonight

Washing under the awning, we've got lots of room here.
Boyne RiverBoyne River
Boyne River

behind our campsite here at Benaraby, near Gladstone
Moore BeachMoore Beach
Moore Beach

just north of Bundaberg
Woodgate Beach National ParkWoodgate Beach National Park
Woodgate Beach National Park

boardwalk behing camping ground, swampy but pretty.
Jan, Rowan and Luke StanleyJan, Rowan and Luke Stanley
Jan, Rowan and Luke Stanley

BBQ at our van , Hervey Bay.
MV MikatMV Mikat
MV Mikat

our whale watch boat
whales 6whales 6
whales 6

just under the surface, beside the boat
At Mudjimba Blue Fin  ResturantAt Mudjimba Blue Fin  Resturant
At Mudjimba Blue Fin Resturant

with friends: Jan, Chris, Rowan, Kurt, Chris and me.


3rd August 2010

Gladstone
Hi Lynne, This brings back memories. We lived in Gladstone for a couple of years, back in 1980,81. It was either 12 or 14 Allunga Drive, on the outskirts then. John was working on the Power Station. Cheers Ann

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb