Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
October 2nd 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Fraser Island is a sand island just off the east coast from Hervey Bay. We stayed in Hervey bay just for a night before departing on a trip to fraser, just as well as there was NOTHING to do there. It was a town full of old people and hotels.
As there are no roads on fraser you can only go in a 4 wheel drive vehicle- we opted for the 4 wheel drive bus option as we did not want to get lost in the bush. Just the bus rides were really cool as it was really bumpy. We were lucky with the weather and our first stop was a trip to a fresh water lake with a beautiful white sandy beach . The water was amazing- it was really clean, still and cool. After this we took a bush walk and saw a massive snake wrapped round a tree and also a pretty big huntsman spider. We spent the night in a wilderness resort in a shared cabin which was pretty comfortable although pretty cold at night.

Day 2 started with another bumpy bus ride and then a trip along frasers highway- the main beach which also served as a runway. This took us to a swimming creek which served as the only safe place to swim on the beach as the water is full of sharks. Next stop was the aboriginal site of the coloured sands, which were exactly that- sands of yellow and red colours. Next we walked up the headland at the sight of Indian Heads. As it was whale igratory season, we were lucky enough to see a mother and calf swimming really close to the headland. We also saw sharks, mantarays, dolphins and turtles. The last stop was the ‘champagne pools’, rock pools at the beach which fileld with foamy water from the sea. Whilst there was very little water in them at the time, it was nice to sit on the beach. After dinner we caught the late ferry back over to the mainland and prepard for travel to Noosa the following day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1003.3kb