Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
March 19th 2010
Published: April 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

The RoadThe RoadThe Road

Made of Sand
Our next stop was Rainbow Beach for Fraser Island, the biggest sand island in the world. We had a 16 hour coach journey to get there and we opted to travel through the night, which actually meant that the journey went really quickly. I didn't sleep solidly the whole night through, but I definitely slept for a fair few hours.

We had a night in Rainbow in a lovely B&B (the hostels were all full) before being picked up in our 4x4 ready to head onto Fraser Island. It's a fantastic place, where all the driving is done on the sand and the main road is essentially the outer beach around the island. We had to avoid the incoming saltwater like it was lava (that's how our guide described it) because of the damage it causes to the vehicle. There were birds galore that always seemed to just get out of the way in time. We also saw loads of Eagles soaring above us and one time, one had a sea snake in its mouth.

We stayed in a hostel for our two nights, which I was quite glad about. What with Cyclone Ului gradually making its way towards
Me and SiobhanMe and SiobhanMe and Siobhan

At the lake where the fish nibble you
the Queensland coast, the weather wasn't particularly good. We were a good way south of the really bad weather, but our days were overcast with a few showers, although mainly the rain was at night which we were thankful for.

On the whole I don't think we really saw a lot that stood out as fantastic, again, probably because of the weather, but there were a lot of cool freshwater lakes and rivers that we went for a swim in. One had these tiny little fish that liked the natural salt on our skin and so would come and nibble at you. They were literally only a couple of millimetres long so they just tickled as they headbutted our legs and feet.

We also saw the native Dingoes, which are wild dogs. They look like a cross between a dog and a wolf, but they don't bark. They looked really cute, but they're wild animals and the stories of babies being snatched and them hunting in packs were enough to put me off petting them. I was happy to take photos from the inside of the car!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

A DingoA Dingo
A Dingo

Giving us hungry eyes
Having a drinkHaving a drink
Having a drink

With our Fraser Island mates


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb