Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
October 28th 2007
Published: October 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Full day on Fraser Island

I did the full day 4wd optional with several others. I'm not sure what those who didn't do an optional would do. The full day 4wd was quite expensive I think but it was so worth it. Not one of us regretted doing it and most of us thought it was the best, or one of the best, optionals all tour hands down.

You get to see so much of the island and it is well worth it.

Fraser Island stretches over 123 kilometres in length and 22 kilometres at its widest point. With an area of 184 000 hectares it is the largest sand island in the world.

Fraser Island's World Heritage listing ranks it with Australia's Uluru, Kakadu and the Great Barrier Reef.

Fraser Island is the only place in the world where tall rainforests are found growing on sand dunes at elevations of over 200 metres.

Fraser Island has plenty of beaches but none for swimming. This is due to rough water, strong rips and plenty of tiger sharks.

WE got to take in plenty of sites on the 4WD tour.

We went to Lake McKenzie. It is a perched lake, which means it contains only rain water, no groundwater, is not fed by streams and does not flow to the ocean. The sand and organic matter at the base of the lake form an impervious layer, preventing rain water from draining away. Like whitehaven the sand is silicon so very white, very soft and sqeeks when you walk on it. They say the sand is really good to exfoliate your skin and the minerals in the water is supposed to do wounders for your hair. We were told

to spoil ourselves in the water and that we would all come out looking a year younger. I tell you thou - the water was COLD. The water was also crystal clear. Amazing.

Another site was the coloured sands or pinnacles. This is made up of 72 different colours of sand. Though, to most people its is just white, cream, yellow, brown and red.

We cruised around 70 mile beach and stopped at a few lakes. There was a chance to do a flight in a plane at an extra cost. We also walked through the rainforrest. Another site was the shipwreck.- Maheno. It was being towed and broke off and landed ashore during a cyclone. Makes some nice photos.

For lunch we went to a buffet at a hotel on the other side of the island.

It was an awesome day well worth the money to see the sites.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb