German dogs and Schnorkels!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
December 8th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Freshwater to Fraser Island

Our trip to Fraser and the mere small section that we covered. There is plenty to do still.

I was up early this morning, around 5.00am, I like to get things moving while Caroline was still in bed I pottered around. I wanted to take the tent down but Caroline would not appreciate it while she was still in it.

I asked Caroline if she wanted a cup of tea. Now in Caroline’s words: I peeled an eyelid open as the daylight was already flooding in through the mesh covered windows in the tent. It felt cool, the first time in days. I heard Andy ask me if I wanted a cup of tea to which I answered, “Yes please, what time is it?” Andy responded “5.30” I said “no thanks 6.00 will be fine” and promptly went back to sleep.

While Caroline was still in bed I started pack the truck up and sort things out. It was a very grey day but a welcome change from the searing heat from the last few days. The storms made the evenings exceptionally humid. You don’t mind the rain here, as it is so warm anyway.

We wanted to get off Fraser Island while the sand was still damp and cool as we had about 15 kilometres drive down the beach to the ‘Manta Ray’ Barge. The tide also had to be right. It was still going out, low tide was due at 09.52 and it is better to drive when the tide is on its way out as it leaves wet, more compacted sand to drive on.

One of the problems with sand when it gets hot is the sand gets looser and more powdery, i.e. It does not stick together and the tyres have nothing to grip. We were pleased that we had so much rain as we knew this would improve our chances of getting the trailer through the problem area.

After a quick cup of tea we packed everything away, it started to rain lightly, again refreshing as it kept us cool while we were being active.

We showered and changed for the journey back, handed the shower keys back to the proprietors of the camp and drove out of the camp site, closing the gate behind us because of the Dingo fence.

We sat at the top of the hill, looked at each other in anticipation of our nemesis, where we had been bogged down only 2 days before and off we went. The adrenaline drove us on. As we were making our way down the hill, we could already see the difference in the terrain and luckily for us a couple of 4WD’s had just gone through and carved a track which was ideal for us to follow. It makes it easier if you can keep your wheels in the same track.

Coming down and around and all of a sudden we were through our nemesis onto the wooden bridge and suddenly we have spat out onto the beach. All the while taking nice gentle sweeping turns as too tight a turn would pull the tyres off the rims as the tyres are deflated to very low pressure to cope with the sand.

The whole beach journey is about 25 minutes long, there were no dramas, just fast and bumpy, but we are sticking to tracks carved by the 4WD’s ahead of us. As the beach has very deep washouts, we picked our way through carefully and before long we were back on the corrugated road heading towards Hook Point and the Manta Ray.

The corrugated road was brutal, it punished the Nissan, and us but nothing fell off so that was ok. The rain was light, but it kept the dust to a minimum.

Back onto the beach for the short drive to the barge, but we did not know where to wait as the barge just comes and docks where the tide dictates, there is no landing stage, the ramp just comes down onto the sand. So we just wait on the beach.

Before long the barge arrives and everyone gets on, including us. Our return ticket already paid for in the original $150. The crossing was slightly choppy but no big deal.

By 9.30 am we are back on the mainland and in a purpose built jet wash facility to give the Nissan and the trailer a thorough wash and vacuum to get rid of the salt water and the sand. $20 well spent.

This facility also has jets of water that spray up from the floor to clean the entire underbody.

Tyres re inflated and we set off for breakfast in Rainbow Beach and on the way we see our first Dingo. I think we had the biggest breakfast in the world, Bacon, Eggs, Toast, Hash Browns, Ham, Pineapple, Baked Beans and tomatoes. This kept us going all day it was so filling. While having breakfast Caroline spied a Landcruiser with a snorkel and said I think we should get a 'schnorkel' and I said 'I love German dogs'.

Back on the road again heading South and to Mooloolaba where we want to set up camp for the next few days. It is a nice drive back and the sun shines.

Filling up with Diesel again now down in price to $1.24 ½ and sees someone selling local strawberries near the car park so we go and buy a punnett. He tells me that these are strawberries that look like strawberries and taste like strawberries, with no artificial interference in their growth, he is very proud of his produce. He is right though these are delicious strawberries.

Heading towards Gympie then to Nambour and soon we are back in Mooloolaba at 4.30 and looking forward to getting back on line and updating the blog as we have now been off line for 4/5 days. We lost Internet connection just before we left Alexandra Headland.

Caught up on the emails, caught up on the blog and noticed that some more Christmas trees are now up in the parade. Yet it still does not feel like Christmas.

Babs skyped Caroline, but sadly it was too busy and noisy in Starbucks and could not converse at all, but it was at least good to see her and her little boy Elvyn on the video, Caroline was disappointed that she could not hear and says that really makes her miss everyone.

It is in our minds that we are going to Australia Zoo on Wednesday to do our weeks voluntary work. We are both looking forward to shovelling Kangaroo Poo and Crocodile wrestling. In fact I have heard that the Crocodiles are worried that they will fall prey to Caroline, as she wants a new Handbag and matching shoes.

Seriously though we are not worried about what we end up doing, I am sure that they will be very menial tasks but the experience will be good. However all Andy really wants now is a V8 Landcruiser.

We finish the Zoo on Sunday; we will stay in Caloundra for one night and then we head to Port Stevens for Christmas. The trailer will stay with Karen and Derek as we will use the Swag to sleep in on the trip down.

Please bear in mind that we may be out of touch from Sunday until we arrive in Port Stevens, as we are very reliant on wifi access.

We will be online over Christmas as we will have full Internet access.

Take Care all of you
Love
Andy and Caroline
x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb