Back in the Saddle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
December 7th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fraser Island SceneryFraser Island SceneryFraser Island Scenery

Really is a beautiful place to be.
In our infancy of off road driving yesterdays nightmare proved to be a wake up call to us to realise how geared up we needed to be for something that the Aussie’s take for granted. When they go out in their 4WD they have snatch ropes, shovels, air compressors, tyre gauges, 2 spare wheels. They fully understand tide times and how to drive on the sand.

Even though we got out of such a difficulty and though not worried about our safety just felt, that maybe we had bitten off more than we could chew. So we convinced ourselves it would be better to ‘get back on the horse’ (one for you Babs!) I said to Andy we had to get back out there and try it and put into practice the things that we learned from yesterday.

Just before we left the camp site we saw a 4WD taxi and spoke to the driver - a very nice lady called Lisa. She gave us some advice about the track we were embarking upon and suggested that we used 4High to allow us to keep our revs up on the deep and soft sand. The track we were taking was going to be rough in most places but had some sandy beds.

So with Andy at the helm and me navigating we set off towards Lake Boomanjin I was looking for the track conditions so that Andy could adjust his speed or approach as necessary as chief navigator should.

We stopped at the first lake and went for a bit of a walk and as the map described there was a dingo fenced area cordoned off for campers. You could not take your vehicle inside but could quite freely set up your tent and camp within the perimeter.

After a short walk around part of the Lake we jumped back in the truck and headed off for Lake Birrabeen.

However en route as we were accelerating to hit a sandy stretch of road, we came around the corner to find a stuck vehicle with another vehicle to the side of it. The vehicle that was stuck was a rental vehicle, a hippy camper. Should have been 4 WD but only 2 WD was working and they seat about 10 people. They were trying very hard to dig it out. We reversed back to a safe
Lake BirrabeenLake BirrabeenLake Birrabeen

Beautiful white sands!
spot that was also hard standing and went to lend a hand. We huffed and puffed and dug and pushed until a V8 Toyota Landcruiser turned up and offered a tow. On went the snatch rope, the V8 Landcruiser was revving its guts out with 10 people pushing the hippie camper and we only just managed to free it from its sandy grave.

When the track became clear we reversed another 300 yards back up the track to get the revs back up and just powered our way with ease and grace through the sand. The track further on was so rough we thought the truck would shake itself to bits and we really need to get rubber dampers fitted into our fillings to stop them from shaking around in our mouths.

All in all the truck and the both us did really well to put up with the gruelling punishment off this off road track. The inland track was a huge adrenaline rush.

Incidentally only a very minor part of Fraser Island is tarmac, the only way to get between villages is using the off road tracks and beaches, 4WD. I do not believe you can get onto the island without it. The Ferry from Inskip point you would have to cross sand anyway so there is no way a 2WD could manage.

We arrive at Lake the sun was baking hot and we took the boardwalk to the beach. The water was a beautiful turquoise and the sand was white and about 20 people were swimming in the Lake.

Getting back on the track we needed to get to Eurong to get some Diesel, we had already deployed the sub tank, which half filled the main tank, but using 4WD is so uneconomical we needed to ensure that we had plenty.

The funny thing here is that the diesel cost $1.85 per litre, there are only about 3 filling stations on Fraser Island so we are paying premium prices, which is why we are not filling right up.

We stopped for a breather and some lunch, and waited for the tide to start receding as we had to drive down the beach roughly 10km to get back to Dilli and face our nemesis which was the climb through that sandy gully that caught us out yesterday.

The 10ks was quite uneventful except that I think Andy was running on pure adrenaline and I could make out the tension in his arms as he was gripping the steering wheel, complaining of Arm Pump, which he used to suffer with riding the dirt bike.

We got to cutting and both looked at each other and then foot to the floor and from the beach to the camp site must have taken 1 ½ minutes compared with the 4 hours from yesterday.

I did have to say to Andy that he took it a little bit too vigourously in his bid to get to the top, my adrenaline was pumping so fast I could not stop laughing. We high fived when we got to the top in the sheer enjoyment of our achievement.

Feeling so physically and mentally exhausted I needed a gin and tonic. Well it was 3.30 in the afternoon so I guess I was allowed.

An hour later, as I am sat typing this, I am outside of our tent, using the solar power to operate the laptop without the laptop battery using any additional power. The clouds are starting to roll over, it is dark
Us AgainUs AgainUs Again

Wait, don't go with out me!! Andy would not get very far without his chief navigator.
in the distance and I can hear rumbling, there is another storm coming so I will need to decamp to the inside of the tent.

Before long we could see the lightning, I went to have a shower, but really there was no need, by the time I came out the sky was black and the rain was pelting down. I got back into the tent and downloaded my photographs from the day.

We were quite comfortable, there were a few drips in the tent where it was brand new and the seams in the canvas needed to shrink.

We cooked our tea, a very basic pasta carbonara out of a packet with naan bread, closely followed by custard and a fruit jelly. We sure know how to eat good food.

It was easy to do considering the weather conditions. The storm raged for hours. The rain let up for a while and we went to bed. There was still lighting in the distance and we could hear the rumbling. However not long after, another storm came across and it seems that both storms are in full swing above our heads. The noise was phenomenal and
EurongEurongEurong

Fuel for Chelsea and us, virtually the only stretch of tarmac on the Island.
whole tent lit up with the lightning. We had to shut the panels to stop the rain from coming in they were closed for most of the night. I remember at one point looking at my watch and another 3 hours had passed since the storms had reengaged above us.

But we were happy and dry unlike another group of unhappy campers who had to be offered some shelter in a cabin. The following morning their tent was water logged.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Electric Dingo ProofElectric Dingo Proof
Electric Dingo Proof

Not an ordinary cattle grid, but electric to keep the Dingo's out of the holiday resort in Eurong.
Our Car WashOur Car Wash
Our Car Wash

What a fun day, but needed a wash.
Sunset after and before the stormSunset after and before the storm
Sunset after and before the storm

This was beautiful after our storm, but it was not long before the next two started.


10th December 2008

Sand
We drove in the Sahara Desert in an ordinary car and it was really difficult on the sand - in the end we let a guy who we had picked up as a hitch hiker drive the car as it was safer! We also got stuck in a bad sand storm which was a bit hairy. At least you have got a good vehicle and I guess it is just getting used to it. Lots of fun though. Very pleased to be able to read your blog as it evokes different travel memories of my own - however - stuck at work waiting for Simon as his car got stuck in the garage - some electrical fault and am waiting for him to try and get another car - I can't walk today easily as tripped over this morning and think I may have broken my toe - see not just you Caroline who is accident prone. Take care Love Karenx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb