Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
May 8th 2003
Published: January 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Red Sky at NightRed Sky at NightRed Sky at Night

I'm Half way up a sand dune totally out of breath. 1 second after the picture was taken i collapsed and rolled half a mile back down the dune. Things you do for a picture.
I have found my paradise. This is what i imagined travelling to be like whilst day dreaming at work in rainy grey London. The feeling of being here is overwhelming, i have had to scream on numerous occasions to vent my growing excitment whilst driving our group of 8 in the 4x4, something that caused the immediate wetting of pants of my passengers.

Camping out on the beach setting up the tent over a beer and watching the amazing sunsets that lit up the whole sky in a blood red colour with friends was pretty special. After the sunset, we all sat drinking VB on a sand dune admiring the red sky when after about 1 hour there was a spectacular and unexpected moon rise!!! we were totally unprepared for this and i did'nt know they existed!!, as the moon rose from the horizon it appeared 5 times larger than i am used to seeing and was red in colour!! and reflected its red hue onto the ocean, amazing sight to see whilst knawing the sand with your bare feet and sipping beer! Fraser island just has this ambience that serves to uplife the spirit, a feeling of raw nature.
Lake McKenzieLake McKenzieLake McKenzie

Stunning, gorgeous, amazing, dazzling, alluring, divine. Just some of the things we were hearing from the girls sunbathing on the beach.
I made an effort to remember the times in London working in an office and how sedated work can make you feel. Those thoughts made me appreciate the experience even more....

Drunken games around the camp fire underneath the stars followed and lasted until we saw the sun rising!!! awesome

The days spend on Fraser island are spent driving to various shipwrecks, lakes and creeks. The best of all has to be Lake McKenzie. Stunning Turquoise crystal clear fresh water for swimming and fine white grainy sand fringed with green rain forest. Straight out of a postcard.We were told that the ocean is a definite no for swimming due to the strong under currents and Tiger sharks!

At indian head we caught a highup panoramic view of 70 mile beach at dusk. The tiger shark advice proved top be correct as we spotted around 6 of them all hovering close to the shore for feeding, it put my drunken dancing in the ocean the previous night into clear perspective. I was extereme lucky not to have been shark food. seeing them so close to the shore was a big shock.

3 days we spent here and i have to say it has been some of the best days of my life.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

70 mile Beach70 mile Beach
70 mile Beach

Me Kev & Roo, sharing a moment at dusk
70 mile beach70 mile beach
70 mile beach

Pure Breed Dingo in the background. Idiotic backpacker in the foreground.


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb