Currumbin Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Currumbin
January 5th 2013
Published: January 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Headed back to Yeronga swimming pool this morning as I wanted to try the swim fit class I had seen on their website. Despite the website saying the only times the club didn’t run was public holidays, the classes don’t resume until next week. Undeterred I headed into the pool and went for a swim anyhow, today focusing on stamina, technique, kick (using only legs) and pull (using only arms). The pool was busier than last night, no surprise there, but it was still lovely to swim in, and people are far more considerate of others swimming in their lane which isn’t the case in the UK! Home around 11am and helped Rowena put a second coat of primer on the chicken coop that Matt made. This afternoon we were heading to Currumbin Creek for one of Matt’s friends birthdays. We quickly gathered all our beach kit, the bbq kit and loaded the esky with ice before heading off. We pit stopped at the supermarket to pick up food for the bbq and drove to the coast.

The creek was beautiful, about as wide as the Thames on average, salt water, with small beachy areas at the side. The water in the creek is flat and was full of paddle boarders, several dinghy’s, a speedboat and a jet ski or two when we arrived. We located Matts friend, met his cousin (from the UK) and a couple of other people. We tucked into our bbq in true English fashion – sitting on a picnic blanket on the grass and chilled out chatting. Later we left Matt playing football with the boys and Rowena and I went exploring, following the boardwalk alongside the creek. The path led us through mangrove roots and trees and then came out onto the beach, where we walked through the sand dunes and paddled in the water where the sea forms the creek. This actual beach area and the dunes was lovely and definitely worth another visit and some point, hopefully when the sun is out, as it was very overcast today. On the walk back we noticed some bizarre crabs, known as Fiddler crabs in the mud flats. There were hundreds of them in some places, and they have one large yellow claw, so it just looked like yellow poker-dots on the mudflats.

On our return everybody was swimming in the creek so we joined in and after a lovely refreshing swim, jumped in the car and headed home. We were all pretty shattered when we got home, so we put on a film, opened a bottle of wine and all relaxed on the sofa. This was then repeated with a second bottle of wine and a second film, with a quick interlude for some of the left over bbq bits for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb