Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
June 30th 2013
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

I attempted to get us up and out of bed slightly earlier this morning which did, for the most part, work. Andrew greatly enjoyed the windy roads with our high powered vehicle, and I enjoyed the views even if they did fly by at speed occasionally.

Andrew's plan for the day was to visit Cape Tribiluation and the Daintree Rainforest, the later of which being the only place where two UNESCO World Heritage Sites meet. We pulled into the ferry station and were soon chugging over a wide river with signs all around us warning of the dangers of crocodiles and the giant blue cassowary (a rare man-sized blue bird which has a habit of ruining people's cars in an attempt at crossing the road).

First stop was a rather poorly timed petrol top-up at the areas only petrol station. We were however recommended by the lad at the desk to do the Maarja Botanical Walk as the best board walk in the area. The walk took us through the mangroves and fan palms near Noah Creek all the while explaining the way the plants had adapted to life near the reef.

We then drove up to Cape Tribulation for a long stroll along the beach and for me, a scramble up Cape Trib itself for some photographs of the rainforest stretching out into the sea. After a packed lunch we sauntered through the Jindalba Boardwalk which was an enlightening, if short, walk through a regenerating rainforest.

Another drive along the Captain Cook Highway before we parked up for the night at palm Cove Campground, obtaining the last remaining space next to a group of Girlguides. Andrew headed out to the shops for milk, and I being left on cooking duty soon realised I had forgotten to get the wooden spoon out of the car along with the other utensils. Seeing the benefit of my neighbors being well prepared, I had a chat with the Scout Leader and managed to borrow a wooden spoon to cook our dinner. Hooray for the Scouts!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb