Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
July 25th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Stick insect 37 secs
Hello again!!

We stayed in Cape Tribulation, which is where the jungle is, for two nights. We were originally supposed to be staying in tents in Jungle Lodge but 'unfortunately' these were closed for the season so we ended up being upgraded to lodges which we were quite happy about. The resort had a pool, restaurant and shop with other lodges and hotels nearby. This was supposed to be an area full of cassowarys, however we didn't see any and just saw lots of cassowary signs instead! Looks like the only one we will see is the one we saw at the zoo! To be honest I don't think any of us would be too keen on seeing a cassowary up close in the wild!!

On our way, we stopped at Mossman Gorge for a walk around the nature trail which was very scenic! We continued on to the Daintree River where we were greeted by the amazing Dan Irby for our boat ride. With amazing 360 degree rotating chairs, we sailed the river and saw azure and sacred kingfishers, crocodiles, feral pigs and more! After giving us his trip advisor card, obviously knowing we were going to give him a 5* review, we got the ferry over to Cape Tribulation... it felt like we were going into Jurassic Park!

We went for a drive around the resort area, went to see the beach and nipped to the supermarket. For tea that night we went to a pub where Matt had kangaroo and it actually was delicious!! It tasted similar to beef really but Dad was a wuss and didn't try it! Whilst we were having our dinner we found a stick insect that appeared to grow wings and fly around the pub, I wasn't the only one pooing my pants!

In the middle of the night after I had been to the loo and was washing my hands, I saw something out the corner of my eyes and assumed it was a moth. However when I turned around and looked on the floor I saw a cockroach scurrying around - I don't think I'm more scared of any other creature! I stood on the toilet for ten minutes before braving it and running to wake up Mum. After waking her up she ended up chasing the creature around the room and eventually capturing it (under her
Stinging treeStinging treeStinging tree

Looks harmless!
shoe) so we could sleep safely.

In the morning we were up early to be picked up for our guided trek through the jungle. Our guide was called Brett - he drove us into the rainforest for the beginning of our walk. Along the way he showed us stinging trees, which if you touch leaves you in excruciating pain and lasts for over 24 hours! Surprisingly none of us ended up touching one, ha ha! If we had then we all know it would have been George!! We stopped mid way in a creek for Daintree River tea and coffee and lots of biscuits. When we returned we went to the beach to recharge ourselves for our night trek through the jungle! We had our tea at the 'Cassowary Cafe' then went to cover up every bit of visible skin before we entered the jungle again. Our guide this time was Coral, we were all given torches although we were prepared and had our own! George and Matt looked like burglars in their attire but were determined not to be attacked by anything hidden in the rainforest! Not before long someone spotted a huntsman spider hiding underneath a leaf, we were hoping this would be the only one but they seemed to be everywhere! We were originally at the front of the group right behind Coral, however when she suggested the back of the line to come to the front, me, George and Matt had a fight to decide which of us was at the back, Matt lost and I attempted to remain safe by grabbing a Swedish boy to save my space between him and Matt. We stopped by the creek and spotted crocodiles by seeing their red eyes reflecting the lights from our torches. When we were out the jungle, we got dropped back to our cabins to sleep and get ready for another early start on the amazing trips planned for George's birthday...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



29th July 2011

All looks very interesting, not sure about the creepy crawlies though and I like the outfits for the night walk, don't blame you love to all xxx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb