Jungle post


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hot+humid=Tel-Aviv.
Hot+humid+wet=tropical rain forests.
Makes all the difference. Every square inch covered with vegetation. And all this green is truly spectacular. Especially since it's all concentrated near the ocean, as tropical beaches are really a sight for sore eyes. Green and blue splendor.
And since, as a guide I heard said, it's not Africa here, a lot of it is very accessible. Best example - one day I took a series of cable cars all the way up to a village in the mountains called Kuranda, surrounded by rain forest. Of course, the other side of it is that it's also highly touristic, but I got used to that by now.
Besides, the diversity of plant life and animals species is mind blowing. I've personally seen - about a dozen different kinds of cool spiders both ground dwelling and web-weavers, all kinds of disgusting insects from green ants that taste like lime (or so I'm told) to giant noisy crickets, amazing blue, yellow and green butterflies, small lizards of some kind, a few frogs and toads, some noisy birds and heaps of trees and ferns and vines growing in peculiar directions just to get some sunlight through the dense canopy.
Great experience, very interesting, especially after the desert, but I still felt lacking. I guess it's just not a real jungle without monkeys.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Crab on the beachCrab on the beach
Crab on the beach

Those things are FAST
Tropical swimming holeTropical swimming hole
Tropical swimming hole

North of cape Tribulation
Strangling FigStrangling Fig
Strangling Fig

Looks like a FIKUS
Big CrocBig Croc
Big Croc

Daintree river
Swamps tooSwamps too
Swamps too

Cairns parks


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb