Island Hop Part 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
December 11th 2009
Published: December 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Six names came up whilst I was trying to make an itinerary for a trip to Cairns. The itinerary had to fit the criteria that it should be authentically Aussie, should be near the town of Cairns and should have modern amenities and could fit in a schedule that only lasted for a day each. I wouldn't want my campervan to be lonely.

So the six islands that I've mentioned are the Green Island, Dunk Island, Hinchinbrook Island, Magnetic Island, Orpheus Island, Bedarra Island, Fitzroy Island and Lizard Island. All of them belong to the northern part of Australia and are found in the regions that are encompassed by the Great Barrier Reef.

So if you want to go reef tripping, one of these islands will probably be your best bet.

The topmost island, Lizard Island is most excellent for reef diving, snorkelling, bushwalking, surface floating, game fishing (the fish here are biting). A small bungalow resort (capacity of 80 people) is there to offer the best of the island, but if you want to go rough, then you can also camp it out with the provided camp grounds in the nearby area. Just ask for a permit at the Cairns Park Office.

I wonder if they have RoRo services for campervans in Cairns. ._.

Green Island is probably the only island nearest to Lizard island which is due south. The vegetation on this island is probably one of the thickest in all the islands. It's an island coral cay, so expect white sands. Boats furnished with a glass floor are available for rent so you can watch the fishes and corals without having to get yourself wet. A small resort exists that can host a maximum of 90 people.

Dunk Island has a national park for those who prefer island hopping on land. A rainforest hosting bird life, orchids and a slew of butterflies. Water sports are not excluded from the island however. Water skiing, para-sailing, clay target shooting ranges, and horse-riding are just some of the things

I've read. Apparently, this island is bigger and can host 360 people (four times than that of the previous) and a max of 30 people in the camping grounds.

I'll do some more digging. Apparently, I need to know which island is also the most budget-friendly. @_@

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb