Botanical Gardens, Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
March 27th 2013
Published: March 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today it stopped raining!!!! And as I am staying quite near to the Botanical Gardens I thought that I would see what they had to offer. Well it didn't disappoint, there were some interesting plants in the Aboriginal gardens, some lovely foliage and very unusual flowers. Also they have an art gallery and events centre which were originally storage tanks, so they are round with some metal structures in them but that's about all and they are used for concerts and all sorts of things really good inventive architecture. Cool.

Spent the afternoon in the centre of Cairns where a concert was held, free of charge and provided by the local council. There is a manmade lagoon on the sea from for people to use instead of the sea as it is stinger season in the summer here. This means that jellyfish the size of the nail on your little finger float around in the sea, if you are unfortunate to get bitten by one of the little blighters you are likely to suffer cardiac arrest and there is no antidote you either live or die there is nothing much a medical team can do except monitor you. There are also another species of jelly fish larger than this variety which although don't have such a deadly sting can make you feel very uncomfortable. On the entrance to the beach there is a bottle of vinegar and a notice which says use the vinegar and seek medical help immediately. All of this make the manmade lagoon look very inviting.

Back to the concert, the musicians were both diverse and talented, the rain stayed away and everyone had a great afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb