Day 29: Arrival in Brisbane and transfer to Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
January 7th 2013
Published: January 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So firstly, Qantas - much more impressive then our BA flight out to Bangkok - we were even handed a menu to tell us what dinner and breakfast we would be having! Despite the improved service James still struggled to sleep meaning I had to put up with a very grumpy boyfriend for most of the day. He did get to watch some more films though! Our flight arrived into Brisbane at 7am and we had to transfer to our flight up to Cairns. We got a little lost attempting to get our transfer, buses to domestic terminals were involved... note to self - in future listen closely to the cabin crews instructions on where to go once you reach the terminal.

We went to a nearby hostel in Cairns and basically fell asleep upon reaching our room. A number of hours passed and we finally decided we had best 'do' something otherwise we'd have nothing to write about in the blog! We walked into the town along the Esplanade. Cairns provides its residents with free activities during the week, beach volleyball, yoga, zumba & aqua aerobics are all on offer and there is outdoor 'exercise' equipment in the park. We did some exploring at the tourist info centre regarding diving on the reef and other activities we'd got our eye-on in Queensland. Our biggest decision needed to be how we were going to get around for the next 10 days.. to rent a car or get the Greyhound..that was the question!

Baileys bit:

Ok so another 2 long flights and limited sleep left me in a bit of a daze. I thought Cairns would be bigger than it is, it only has a populaton of about 150,000, but it seems a fairly pleasant city. There is a pool called 'the lagoon' which is free to the public on the beach front, so looking forward to try that out in the morning. We also went to the shops to pick up some food, we found a local delicacy called Lemmington fingers. They are sponges covered in chocolate and coconut, very tasty!

Daily mileage: 0 for obvious reasons I wasn't ready in body or mind to go for a run after more than 24 hours without a proper sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb