Cairns Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Northern Beaches
April 11th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

And so to the last day of our short break!

With a little bit of time to fill in this morning before our flight back to Melbourne this afternoon, we headed off to the Cairns Zoo. We watched the pelicans being fed before heading to the Free-flight Bird Show.

As we waited for the show to start there was a short shower of rain. After five days of glorious weather it looked like taking a bit of a turn for the worse. Fortunately, just before show time, the rain stopped.

The show included Australia’s largest raptor, the Wedge-tailed Eagle and the White-bellied Sea Eagle that is common in Northern Australia. We also saw a Barn Owl, some cockatoos and a very clever magpie. With our cameras on motor-drive Bernie even managed to take a reasonable shot or two of the birds in action.

After the show we circumnavigated the rest of the zoo and finally got to see a crocodile or two dozen. We may not have seen any in the wild, but there were plenty of them lounging around at the Cairns Zoo!

From the zoo we had a short drive back to the airport where we caught our direct flight back to Melbourne. It's a much better trip without a layover in Brisbane!!

After a lovely, relaxing short break we arrived back in Melbourne very much looking forward to starting a much longer holiday on 10 May when we head off to the UK, Turkey and the US of A for seven weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb