New Zealand Winter trip 2012 itinerary


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Northern Beaches
March 2nd 2012
Published: March 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Friday June 22nd - Fly Cairns to Auckland, arriving in Auckland late afternoon and staying at Auckland Harbour Oaks apartments. Dinner from Sarge's piecart in Britomart:

Saturday June 23rd - Breakfast (and foraging for supplies for dinner) at the Farmer's Markets in Britomart. Yum Cha Lunch at Grand Harbour Chinese Restaurant.

Sunday June 24th - Cruise to Waiheke Island, picnic lunch of provisions gathered at the markets the previous day.



Monday June 25th - Fly to Queenstown. Accommodation at Absoloot Backpackers where we have paid extra for a room with a view of the lake...

Gondola ride , and possibly a luge ride!
Dinner at Eichardt's Private Hotel.Tuesday 26th June : Catch the shuttle bus to Snow Park at CardronaWednesday June 27th (my birthday 😊 Skiing!Thursday June 28th : Another day at Snow ParkFriday June 29th : Catch the shuttle bus back to Queenstown, pick up our hire car and head via Invercargill for Oystercatcher Cottage in Bluff, the southernmost point of the South Island.Saturday June 30th : Drive to Moeraki via Dunedin. Accommodation at Moeraki Boulders Holiday Park if they decide to stay open for the winter. How cute is this little cabin??If not, Jack's place. Still lovely!


We will walk on the beach and gaze at these fabulous things :



We have bookings for dinner at the world famous Fleur's place



Sunday July 1st: Erewhon Station!! This is shaping up to be the highlight of the trip - staying in a self-contained house at the homestead on the first night.

Monday July 2nd : The lovely folks from Erewhon station are going to harness up a team of gorgeous clydesdales and take us in a wagon through "Lord of the Rings" country:



to a little rustic hut in the high country, up above the snowline where we will spend the night.



and have a wood fired bath under the sky!



Squee!!

Tuesday July 3rd : Springfield Hotel - chill out day!



Wednesday July 4th: TranzAlpine Train (I LOVE trains!!). This one is ranked among the top five train journeys in the world.





Thursday 5th July : Our 9th (?) wedding anniversary! Hanmer Springs. Staying at Hanmer Backpackers in this cozy little stargazy room



spending quality time soaking in the Hanmer Thermal Springs.



Friday 6th July : Picton. Staying at The Villa Backpackers...


and weather permitting and dog spirit willing, we shall take Milly for a walk!Saturday 7th July : Interisland Ferry to Wellington - predawn, so we can watch the sunrise over the sea (and so we have the best chance of a smooth crossing!!)And so ends Part 1 - South Island!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb