Australia Adventures day 15: Roadtrip time


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
August 19th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi there mates,

The day started at 6:30 am. Yay. Good morning.. After a breakfast, and preparing for the day, we stepped into the car to go up the mountains to see some crater lakes. The idea behind it was interesting; after a big explosion of magma and watervapour, the lakes were formed on top of a volcano that is not inactive but 'sleeping'. But when we arrived, it was really really cold and we were all dressed in shorts, crop tops and flipflops, so we runned into a tea house for some coffee and tea with scones. Beautiful scones with unsweetened cream and tasty jelly, to mention for a moment. After the first crater lake, we went to a second one which was perfectly round but also too cold for a swim. As we walked there, we found a snake! But unfortunately (or actually fortunate, depends on the way you look at it) it was dead. He (or she) was beautiful intact and an open mouth where you could see inside. It turned out to be a carpet python, which is normally not venomous for humans because of his tiny teeth. Some photos and poking later, we continued our journey to Youngaburra, an old town where there was nothing to do, but look around and have a walk along the river, where they claimed to have Platypusses. So we did the walk. Surprisingly, we did not find any platypus. Only a turkey and some insects.. We drove further to another tea house where we had our lunch. The place was beautifully old but the view was even better. A garden with a papaya tree and a horizon with hills, blue skies, cows and kookaburras. And finally, after our long drives, we arrived at the beach. The signs told us there might be crocodiles or stinging jellyfish, but that didn't scare us. We went right into the waves and swam and had fun. After the cold swim, we had a rest in the sun and we went back home. A long day..

Kisses Rosalinde

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb