First week


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
July 8th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sarah, Nora, Jess and I went up to Clifton Beach the other day. It's not exactly what you'd think of when envisioning an Australian beach but it's close. The water isn't totally clear until about 50 feet off-shore. But other than that, it's a post card. White sand beach that gradually fades into a palm tree forest and small green islands right off the coast.
Wednesday we went to the rainforest and went cliff diving. We were initially just going to find waterfalls and take pictures until we saw a bunch of kids jumping. I couldn't help myself. You had to swim across a little lagoon and then use ropes to climb up. There were three levels to jump from. The first was about 30 feet, the second around 60 and the third was somewhere around 80. Again, it was something out of a magazine. The waterfalls were more of cascades that emptied into the lagoon and served as a backdrop for pictures taken of people jumping.
Thursday was a slow day due to the events of Wednesday night. There was a lot of sleeping and movie watching, although we did make it out for breakfast on the harbor.
Today, we're planning to go south to an island off the coast that's a national park. Hopefully we'll see some crocodiles. I finally booked my trip to the Great Barrier Reef for Monday. There's a company with a 55' sailboat called Ocean Free that takes you out there for the day to scuba dive. There's also an island called Green Island close to where their mooring is. Apparently it's one of the more picturesque places.
That's pretty much all I have for now. I'm planning to leave Australia for New Zealand in a week and a half I think. I'll know more sometime next week.

Advertisement



9th July 2010

cliff jumping
cliff jumping is exactly the type of activity that, in combination with you, scares me. especially followed up by '[H]opefully we'll see some crocodiles. i see this on the same level as 'a small brushfire.' have you injured yourself underwater before? love you, kinchy - its good to hear of your travels!
21st July 2010

You weren't the guy in Australia who...
drank more than his fair share, got kicked out of a pub and then decided to climb a fence so he could wrestle an alligator on the other side, right?

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb