Just Having a Sunday


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
September 20th 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 317


I must have lied to you last night on the blog, I said until another exciting day tomorrow, but today is far from exciting lets just say more relaxing. It is Sunday again, neither of us can believe where the time is going, we have 10 days left in Cairns, we have done a lot yet it feels so little, there is a lot to see and do in and around Cairns.

So, a lazy start to the day with tea and cereal for breakfast, Andy was typing the blog and I started to read some more information on Cape York. The crucial thing that I wanted to find out and understand today is really about the road going up there, we have some great tourist information brochures but only one of them really explains properly about the track.

It looks like we will have to take the ferry across the Jardine River, as the Old Telegraph Track looks and sounds very rutted, we have been warned how easy it would be to tip the trailer on this particular stretch. We both think that we will set off with the intention of taking the trailer, but if we find information on the way that tells us otherwise then we will drop it somewhere and pack the barest minimum that we would need for two weeks.

A few chores are done, we read the papers, do some more trip planning and eventually it is time to pop out to Woolworths for some groceries, we will get some of the things that are on the list that we need for the next part of our journey, other stuff can wait until early next week.

It is hot today, but the air conditioning in the supermarket is very welcome until you get to the freezer section, then back outside in the heat we welcome the shade of Julie’s Rainforest Garden.

What a lovely day it has been, but just after 6.00, because we had not done any exercise today we decided to do “our walk” to the top of the road, I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and away we went. This time we did the walk up in 10 minutes, we stopped only once for a rest and a swig from the bottle of water, soon at the top we admired the view, which changes depending on the sun and the cloud, today a lovely pink hue hugs the mountainscape and the CBD.

On the way back down we stop to chat to a guy who lives in the road, he walks his dogs most days, he has seen us on occasion and commented that “you guys should be fit by now!” He asked how long we had been doing this so we explained but also told him about how much walking we have actually done since being in Cairns.

The sun had vanished it was dusk and the mosquitoes were starting to bite so we said our goodbyes and went on our way.

As soon as we got back Andy watered the garden and I put the oven straight on so that I could get a joint of beef in and cooking, it meant having a late dinner but it is worth it for a good roast. I had prepared the vegetables before we went out so they just needed cooking at the right time.

While everything was cooking Mum and Dad called over Skype, we had a great catch up, it was a good line so we had a clear conversation and clear picture, but dinner was nearly cooked and it was time to go. Skype is great, I think it would be much more difficult only speaking over the telephone and not being able to see each other, the distance is hard enough.

We finally settled down to a terrific meal of Roast Beef with vegetables and gravy, the gravy was enriched with onion and chilli, extra tasty.

With dinner out of the way and the washing up done, we settled down to watch a film “I pronounce you Chuck and Larry” great for a laugh, but it was soon bedtime.

The nights seem to be starting to get warmer, but so far we have not used the air conditioning unit in the bedroom, neither of us want to get used to having air conditioning to sleep with as we will not have that luxury for long.

Until tomorrow when we get our walking legs back on again, goodnight!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb