Sapphire and Steel


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
September 9th 2009
Published: September 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 306


For some strange reason I was up at silly O’clock this morning and I don’t know why, but typing the blog retrospectively we try to make mental notes, or written notes, but for the life of me I cannot remember what was on my mind yesterday morning, except that neither of us had a good nights sleep, we felt a little deflated yesterday so I think it just remains on my mind.

We had an invitation this morning to go and have coffee with Pamela and Terry up at their splendid hillside pad up at Palm Cove, we need to be there for 10.30 so lazing around in bed was not an option as we needed to shower and get ready.

After showers and breakfast, we hopped in the truck and drove across town arriving at the road where they lived. Terry had said that there was no need to drive up, we should park the truck at the bottom and if we phoned him when we were at the bottom then he would come down and pick us up.

In a blink of an eye we phoned Terry, parked the truck and were jumping into Terry’s 4x4 and soon heading back up the hill, where as we entered the house we were greeted by the ever so jolly Pamela, who welcomed us to their home.

We had been told about the house, and its location and it definitely didn’t disappoint, Sapphire Ridge sits amongst 40 acres of Tropical Rainforest and overlooks the most stunning view of Cairns and its Northern Beaches.

Pamela has owned the house for 19 Years I think, her previous husband was a Cardiac Surgeon, and Pamela had hoped that the house would be used for Cardiac patients that were convalescing after heart surgery, but sadly things didn’t go the way she had hoped.

Now Pamela and Terry live virtually full time in the house, it can be, rented out and in fact had been rented out in the past for Weddings, it is an idyllic location. Check out the website at www.sapphireridge.com.au .

Another two guests joined the conversation for coffee, they were Brooke and her daughter Piper, Brooke once worked for Terry in a past life and he had known her from when she was just a little girl, and now she had brought her own little girl along. Piper was full of beans and quite happily used the house as a place to amuse herself while the adults sat and chatted, contemplating life and politics.

We sat all morning talking in these stunning surroundings and just drinking coffee, though I could never see myself as a serial coffee morning goer I really enjoyed this coffee morning.

About 1.30 Terry took us back to our truck down the hill, and as we drove down showed us parts of the 40 Acres that they owned and how hopefully they may get the chance to sub divide it, but as it is Tropical Rain Forest it may be tricky (No Cassowaries here though).

We got back to the truck and thanked Terry for their hospitality and headed off back into Cairns, Sheridan Street, to (QPWS) Queensland Parks & Wildlife Services where we had to submit a form for our permit to enter their land to go and have a walk.

Again Ann was extremely helpful I asked her why we had to have a permit and she said it was not for QPWS but for the Federal Government, who wanted to know how many people actually use the road, and this is where some good idea’s just haven’t been thought through.

Ann said we could have the permit for a year, if we so desired, yet the federal government wanted to know how many people used it, so if we had a permit for a year and used it 10 times the Federal Government would not know. I suggested using one of those devices that actually count traffic in and out may be the best solution, but hey, I am not trying to be a smarty-pants.

We got our Permit, had a quick chat, looked at the Python in the tank who’s name was “Spot” who was strangely a Spotted Python and then headed home, after grabbing some lunch.

By the time we got back it was after 3.30 and having a sit down and a cup of tea it was soon time to “trudge” up the hill and have our walk. Caroline did telephone Mount Surprise Gems and they confirmed that the Topaz they have cut for her and Sarah (Wallaby Wanderers) has been sent so Caroline will receive that shortly. You may remember from a previous blog that we all went fossicking in Mount Surprise for that prized piece of Topaz.

When we got back we both grabbed a hosepipe to water the huge garden that Julie has, which took us the best part of an hour, doing all the plants and bird baths.

As we had been so busy for most of the day and grabbed a late lunch we didn’t really want much for our evening meal, so Caroline rustled up a bacon sandwich, so we sat for the rest of the evening watching TV.

Sorry this is not very exciting but it is written exactly as it happened.


Advertisement



10th September 2009

Sapphire and Steel
May not be an exciting day for you but it would be just my kind of day. No sheep in site and plenty of rain and plenty of time to sit around and contemplate my navel. Kimba had 5 puppies on Saturday. 4 males and 1 female. Two plain black like Wally (so we think that Wally must have sneaked in when we weren't watching) two black and brown and one brown. I took some photos (not very good) when they were a day old so will email them. Kimba is very protective for the first couple of days so it is a bit hard to get a good look. She actually had 6 but one was stillborn. They are like little squirming sausages that make the funniest noises. Would love to come to Cairns but I don't think that Caroline,Andy, Wendy and Tiddles would like going without their feeds. Love, Helen

Tot: 0.599s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 205; dbt: 0.4362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb