Copperlode Dam to Crystal Cascade


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
September 7th 2009
Published: September 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post


DAY 304


Far from having those Monday morning Blues, I woke up, jumped out of bed and put the kettle on, today we were finally going to walk the trail from Copperlode Dam to Crystal Cascades.

Before Caroline was up, I had made the sandwiches, filled the camelbak, got the boots, together made sure the first aid kit was in the rucksack, well walking with Caroline can be hazardous. verything was done, Caroline had had her morning tea, and so after a light breakfast we were in the truck and heading up the mountain towards Copperlode Dam.

About the walk from the Internet:

Copperlode Dam (Lake Morris) to Crystal Cascades is a steep track over rough terrain and involves strenuous physical activity. The walk can be done from either direction. If you wish to walk one way, it easier to leave a car at Crystal Cascades and walk downhill from Copperlode Dam.

Starting from Copperlode Dam Kiosk, walk back along the bitumen road, out the main gate and past the huge electricity pylon. Not far past the pylon is a locked yellow gate on the left where the track starts. Here the walking surface is of good quality and passes through rainforest with vines and ferns. About half way down you will reach another pylon with views to the coast. From here the track becomes narrow and rougher, winding down the steep grade to Crystal Creek. You can usually hear the creek and visitors as you approach and come out behind the toilet block, about 50 metres from the gate. A nice refreshing swim at Crystal Cascades is the perfect ending to this trek.

Twenty minutes later we arrived at Copperlode Dam where we are going to leave the truck, and on with the boots, gaters and rucksacks, and with all the essentials we needed we set off at a reasonable pace, why rush? We are hoping we may see a snake basking early or a Cassowary, maybe a Wombat or Roo on this walk through the Rain Forest.

With only about 200 mtrs covered the track starts to descend steeply, but were aware that this track will be down hill most of the way, so our ascent will be uphill all the way back, not such brilliant planning but hey ho, we know what we are faced with.

We got to the look out which gave you a view out towards Redlynch and Yorkeys Knob, quite a stunning view that stretches out into the bay.

Onwards we tramped, the track was getting steeper and steeper, we said hello to some people walking up, they did have big red faces and were puffing a lot so we knew we were in for a rough ride on the way back up. One of them commented what a lovely easy hike it is as she raised her eyebrows and puffed on.

The wide undulating track had now changed and became a very steep rocky and tree rooty trail with high step downs, something we would have tackled on our dirt bikes back in the UK, my mind wandered back to good times with the boys out in the wilds of Wales, and the fun we had in Normandy.

Once we were down the steep climb we virtually just popped out of a gap in between the tree’s and suddenly we had made it, back on to firm flat ground.

We familiarised ourselves on where we were and as we had not been here before asked a couple who were walking past which way to the waterfall, there were no signposts and we did not want to end up wandering in the wrong direction.

They directed us toward the Crystal Cascades so we sat down on the nearby benches had a drink and just talked through the walk.

As we were talking a couple of huge Goanna’s were making a noise in the leaves nearby and they were big probably 1.5 meters from snout to tip of tail, they seem to be a slow lumbering creature but when they get cranky and go in to see an opponent off they are so quick and powerful.

A chap we were taking to was telling us about how much they scavenge for food around the BBQ area’s and he had got his camera out and was edging his way forwards for that perfect shot, his wife was going on and on at him not to get too close and said to us that if they felt threatened they would “Run Up You!” “Yea ok love” I can’t really imagine a 1.5-meter creature running up you, I could if she was talking about a small lizard.

His wife asked
This is SteepThis is SteepThis is Steep

But my camera just can't show it
us which way we had come so we told her we had walked over from Copperlode Dam, she asked us which we were going back and we told here we had no choice but to walk back the way we came (which we wanted to), she virtually became hysterical telling us about all the snakes under the leaf litter the way we were going back, and if bitten there would be absolutely no chance for us.

She was going on and on, and her irrational behaviour was starting to get on my nerves, firstly what she was saying goes against all the things we have learnt about snakes, snakes don’t want any interaction with humans, they live in a silent world and only sense the world through temperature and vibration, so if you were walking along the track they would feel your vibration through the ground and move off, hopefully!

We finished talking to this woman when her husband dragged her away which was good as I felt like slapping her, metaphorically speaking of course.

Heading up towards the Crystal Cascades we started to talk to a couple who were walking the other way, and they tell us that they are from Melbourne and are on a Cruise from Perth to Sydney, the ship is moored out in the Bay at Yorkeys Knob, so they have to be back by 5.00 to get the tender to take them back to the Sun Princess by 5.00pm, they said that they were really enjoying the cruise, we chatted for a while then they walked on one way and us the other.

We got to the main source of water, and well it was OK, not startlingly impressive but not too bad, we take some pictures, then walked back a little bit to watch some lads climbing the rocks about 40ft up then jumping off in to the water. The water was very deep as the splash they made was enormous.

We got back to the picnic table where we sat earlier and started to unpack our sandwiches, the couple who were on the cruise walked by and said they had just had a swim in one of the safe pools, they asked us if we wanted to have a lift back to where our truck was parked at Copperlode Dam instead of having to walk back, we thanked them and said that we needed to do the walk or else we would feel cheated and it would not lie well with us. They understood, and wished us well and we did the same and they headed off to their hire car.

We had ate our lunch, drank the remainder of the water we then refilled the camelbak, donned our rucksacks on then we strode off for the ascent back up.

“Blimey” the first 30 minutes were straight up, my heart was absolutely pounding in my chest, I stopped a few times to catch a breath and paced myself until the terrain flattened out, before it started to climb again, boy it was tough but leaving at 13.15 we made it back to the truck by 15.00 exactly, we both staggered to the truck and couldn’t wait to get to get our boots and sock off and get our thongs back on.

We sat in the truck and cooled down totally satisfied with our achievement and confirmed that we were happy that we did not take the fella up on his option of driving us back to the truck.

Caroline said that before my
Nest or NatureNest or NatureNest or Nature

We don't know what these are, but we read they weigh as much as a car
heart surgery she thought I would have gratefully accepted the offer of the lift, but now she is delighted that I would not “give in” and chose the option that would make my heart work hard. Note this is classified as a strenuous walk so it is not easy, which is why we chose not to do it after the rain last week.

We set off back to base, and as soon as we got back enjoyed a nice hot shower to sooth our aching bones and muscles, and as our treat we had an Ice-lolly from the freezer.

I wandered outside on to the veranda, lay down and that was it I just nodded off to sleep, the next thing I knew in my state of slumber was a lady walking up the stairs and tapping on the door of the house. Still half awake and half asleep I head the lady saying hello!! But there was no noise coming from the house, I couldn’t hear any music, and thought that Caroline must have been in the shower.

I said hello and the lady nearly went vertical as I was behind her, she turned around surprised that she had not seen me. The lady said she was collecting for the Australian Heart Foundation, “how could I refuse?” I ma their biggest fan and am quite happy to hand over some “hard earned.”

I shouted in to the house asking if we had some change and saw Caroline rise from the sofa, she had fallen asleep as well, and had just started to stir, apparently not even hearing this lady knock on the door.

The lady thanked us and wandered off so we sat and watched the news, and talked about what we were going to have for dinner as we had certainly “walked” up an appetite.

The rest of the evening we just sat and watched a bit of TV until we were so tired we just couldn’t stay up any longer.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

A huge GoannaA huge Goanna
A huge Goanna

This big boy was hanging around with his 2 mates but they could not play nicely together
One of the other Goanna'sOne of the other Goanna's
One of the other Goanna's

Look at his eye, he was watching Caroline take this photograph
Caroline looking good Caroline looking good
Caroline looking good

After the first half of the walk


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb