The Postman always Rings Twice


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post


DAY 299



The start to our days are nice and easy, we wake up when it is daylight or at least when the sunshine creeps in through the trees and thus through the window.

We read and have our breakfast, sometimes sitting on the cool veranda and enjoying this beautiful environment.

The blogs are going to start being less interesting again as there will be days, like today, where we have not done very much, but hopefully they will be interspersed by days out.

Today we are going to pop around to some of the local camping shops as we need to add a few things to our kit for when we are back out on the road again.

First we pop into the Australian immigration department, as we wanted to find out when we can actually apply for citizenship, the girl on reception is very helpful and gives us the information we need and tells us how long after entering the country you would need to wait.

We then pop into Bunnings for some bits and pieces and drive round to a camping shop we just happen to see, I cannot even remember its name, but we pop in anyway for a look, it did look promising from the outside, but when we go in there is not actually a lot of stuff for camping so we cannot get what we need.

Next stop Rays Outdoors, a fairly big shop, but again lots of stuff but not in the arena that we need, so next stop on of our old favourites, BCF, we find some Butane Gas canisters and a trivet. The trivet sits at the bottom of the camp oven and helps stop things sticking to the base and helps dissipate heat more evenly, so in other words we may be able to perfect our damper.

We stop off at IGA and pick up some bits and pieces for lunch then head home for the afternoon.

The Postman called and brought the bits that Caroline had ordered on line for her camera.

What did we do all afternoon? Well, I guess we relaxed again, enjoying the environment, we both did some reading, I lazed around in the hammock and did my brain training, which is actually going quite well.

I find it amazing that being busy doing nothing is actually quite tiring, I could sleep for England at the moment.

Later in the afternoon we have our walk, it is quite humid so it feels like an effort, however Andy says his calves are hurting him at one point. We speak briefly to one of the neighbours, she laughed and said “So you’re doing the heart attack walk then!” if only she knew.

When we got back I got the dinner on the go, however I do find that, I can clean all of the worktops down, there is not a crumb in sight, yet as soon as I put food out on the worktop to prepare, those tiny little ants appear from nowhere!!

I have been warned about keeping food up here, i.e. it seems that most things have to be kept in the fridge or at least air tight containers to stop the little ants and weevils getting in, but it beats me that you cannot put food on the worktop without the little things getting in, it seems like a challenge to prepare food quickly and get it cooking and put away immediately what you are not using. I suppose it is something that you learn to live with in the Tropics.

We have been here for a week now, I think Andy has itchy feet already, but I am enjoying the rest, although we do need to get out and about and explore the area, so we have plans tomorrow to walk from Copperlode Dam to the Crystal Cascades.

We are both looking forward to it, we have found the information that we needed so we know how long it is and how long it will take us.

We succumb to an evening of watching television, and eventually it is bedtime, succumbing to sleep is so easy.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb