Far North Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Big Mango!The Big Mango!The Big Mango!

Man, this things heavy!
Its a far cry from the dry dusty deserts of Boulia, here in the wet tropics. Amazing to think it is only 10 hours drive away. We have explored heaps of rainforests around Mission beach and in the Atherton Tablelands. In Yungaburra Clancy and I did a night canoe on Lake Tineroo around the rainforest, spotlighting. It was exellent and we were lucky to see the rare Tree Kangaroo, 2 in fact , heaps of possums and some water dragons.
We camped on the banks of Lake Tineroo and met some people who took the girls out on thier biscuits behind a speed boat.
Headed from there down the Karanda Range into Cairns. So great to see my sister and the girls. We had a lot of great days with them all. Visited the Australian Butterfly sanctuary and everyone said " Oh! Look , a Ulysses Butterfly. They are amazingly eye catching and we have seen many on our hikes through the forests. The kids all went on a Horse trail ride up in Jalatan in the ranges near Port Douglas. We spent the Afternoon on the beach in Port Douglas, it was a great day.

Picked Jake up from the airport and he is on the road with us again.

Further north now, up in the Daintree with the worlds oldest rainforest. Very beautiful, but quite claustraphobic after the open space of the desert. We camped with Jen and the girls on Noah Beach at Cape Tribulation. Had the whole beach to ourselves, beautiful weather, it was just perfect. We found a fresh waterhole in one of the creeks with a swing rope, it was a crystal clear and very refreshing, we went there each day to wash off the salt water as we had no showers where we were camped.

We said our sad goodbyes and parted ways with my sister, and made our way up the 4wd Bloomfield track to Cooktown. It was a fantastic trip through the rainforest along the coast. Very steep in places and a few creeks to cross, would be a great challenge after rain. We stopped a the Lions Den Pub for a well earned beer and then continued on to Cooktown.
We are camped under massive paper bark trees here and Cooktown reminds us of Broome before tourists.
We took a 4WD track out to Trevethan Falls and waterhole. It was awesome, heaps of Ulysses butterflies
and a great swimming hole. I slipped down the rocks and now I have a gungy leg.

Tomorrow we are making our way west. Not sure where we'll end up, It's a surprise!
Cheers, Chris.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Me TarzanMe Tarzan
Me Tarzan

Ahhhh! watch out for that tree!


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb