Day 122 Australia, Melbourne to Cairns.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
March 17th 2015
Published: March 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi People,



We left the couch surfers home at 7am, where we had a taxi booked to take us to the airport. We flew on a delayed flight about 9.30am to Cairns. With the clocks changing on the way, we arrived in Cairns at 11.30am. Virgin Australia never gives food or snacks out on their flights so we had to buy a sandwich (that we shared) on the flight. We got a free pick up from the airport to the hostel-always makes us happy! We are staying in Asylum hostel, which is the cheapest hostel we could find in Cairns ($15/£8 per night each for a dorm room) but it does have mixed reviews on trip advisor, but actually we quite like it. We are staying in a 6 bed dorm room, which is clean and quiet; there is free tea and coffee all day long, there is a pool; big communal area; a working kitchen area; about 15 minutes walk from town and everyone is very friendly.



The first thing we did when we arrived at the hostel was walk over to Woolworths we got lunch first and ate it outside Woolworths, then we went back in to do a big shop (we did it like this because being so hungry to start with we would have just put so much stuff in the basket – and our budget wouldn’t be able to handle this!).



On our way back to the hostel we realized it was St Patrick’s day and the pub ‘the Jack’ as it was decorated to the hilt with green!!! We had a Cider each and got free hats. (See Pictures) It was a good laugh and the place was packed!!



We chilled out in the pool in the afternoon and then went back in to town to see what information we could get on tours. We booked up our hop-on-hop-off bus down the East coast, we went for Premier as it was about £100 cheaper and we can work around having just one departure each day to the next destination (as opposed to Grey Hound, which has 3 different departure times each day). When we got back to the hostel in the evening we booked up a day of scuba diving on the far side of the Great Barrier Reef!!!!! The tour allows unlimited time for snorkeling, the boat transfer plus I’m doing three dives and Neil is going to do two introductory dives (as he doesn’t have PADI). The day cost us about £130 each, which is a bargain for diving and equipment hire too.



In the evening we had a few mugs of goon wine and our favorite Jamie Oliver’s meatballs and pasta. We chatted to a few people and then watched a few episodes of GOT on the laptop.





Good night! V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb