Kakadu & Hitchike trip.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 30th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Road to Cairns

Darwin - Kakadu - Katherine - Tennant Creek - Barkly Homestead - Mount Isa - Normanton - Cairns

Van trip

17 July: Today went from Darwin to Kakadu. Walked around at a rock formation with a impressive view. After that we went to a Campsite with load of mosquitos. But it was all good with some beer and nice food.

18 July: 8.30 We left to see Jim Jim Falls. We hitchhiked there, I got the first ride not long waiting Fabio and Ericka arrived too. We started waling the last 400 meters were hard because it was all rock. Later on we swam and hanged out at the beach. We all walked back and we got a ride in the back of a truck. Kinda like mexicans all in the back with 7 people. We arrived back and ate some chicken. Then we drove around for a place to sleep, Again mosquitos but not that bad. We had some wraps with mince and some goon.

19 July: We drove to Gunlom. After some walking we arrived at a some pools nature made in the mountain. We walked back and went to see the guy who gave us the ride back. Long wait, but it was worthed we went on his boat and drove around at yellow waters. We saw a saltie eating a fish and a Kangaroo. We helped the guy to fix his car. It was dark already when we came back so we decided to stay at the parking space to sleep.

20 July: Today we drove to Edith falls. There was a awesome waterfall and had a good swim. When I came back from the shower nobody was at the van yet, Some germans gave me a loaf of bread. Good lunch :P. We drove to Katherine to get some Groceries and then we went off to sleep after some nice dinner.

21 July: After a nice swim at a river, we went on the road again but the van made strange sound so Nico tried to fix it. We drove on to Parking spot next side to the road 50 K from Katherine. I made some food.

22 July: we kept on driving but Nico didnt trust it so The other car who was travelling with us pulled us 250 Kilometre. We got picked up by Jaccal towing company and we went to sleep after doing some groceries and food.

23 July: The van got picked up and after long waiting we heard Marguerite (name of the car) was dead. The engine wouldnt work anymore.

24 July: Today was just doing nothing, Nico tried to find a place to recover is car. Nico found a place to recover the van, we sold some petrol to some Swiz people.

Hitchhike trip

25 July: They offered us a ride to 3 ways (the road direction Cairns). Nico got lucky with a ride straight to Cairns, Fabio got us a ride with a retired couple to Barkly Homestead. We travelled 180 Kilometre. After some dinner and a movie we went to set up our tent and went to bed.

26 July: We got a ride from Barky Homestead to Camooweal. A small place just in Queensland, we were trying to catch a ride to Mount Isa the same day. No succes so we went to get some food from the local store and ate dinner (tuna and bread) cheapest stuff we could find. We watched a movie again and drank some beers. There was someone who playd some music (elvis, CCR) after a fun night, we set up the tent again and went to bed.

27 July: After 2 hours wait we found out the ride was staying at Camooweal, Fabio found a ride to Mount Isa already pretty quick. half anhour later I went with some backpackers (1 I met in Alice Springs) I think everything happens for a reason. We stopped 70 kilometre before mount Isa to check the car, but everything was fine. around 5 we arrived in Mount Isa. I called Fabio and he came with someone where we could sleep for the night. The bed was way better then a tent.

28 July: Johnny (where we could sleep) dropped us off 10 Kilometre from mount Isa. We waited a hour and someone came with a tour bus, but a empty one with 3 kids in it. He could take us all the way to Normanton (500 Kilometre). We could sleep at their place, we even got propper food. We watched Pirates of the Caribbean and Anaconda, It was time to sleep when it was finished, tomorrow last Kilometres to Cairns.

29 July: We walked for a hour side the road, we got picked up by a car and drove us to Cairns. From outback, Craters, Green hills and then Rain forest and Jungle. So many different landscapes was great. After being dropped off we went to the bus stop to go to Koala's Beach resort.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb